Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Third Time's the Charm

However cliche it is, there is some truth to the phrase, "third time's the charm." Engaging in any endeavor really takes 3 times to get it good (not perfect, that takes many more times, but good can be achieved in 3). The first time is thrilling and terrifying at the same time because of the newness of the whole experience, the 2nd time one reacts to the first time and tries to alter some things, maybe overcompensating for some things, and then the 3rd time you get the right balance of knowledgeable experience and fresh enthusiasm. Hence the brilliance of the Wire Season 3, the dominance of the Chicago Bulls dynasty runs, why you get 3 arrows at the archery range (so you can recalibrate after the first two and then make the 3rd one true). There's value in doing something 3 times.

Over the weekend I did 2 major activities for the 3rd time: played at the Walt Disney Hall with the L.A. Lawyers Philharmonic for the 3rd time, and engaged in jury duty for the 3rd time.

1.) I ruthlessly bashed jury duty and the entire system 2.5 years ago, but it bears repeating: the jury system is broken. At least in Ventura County where I'm registered. Nothing screams "this is a waste of time!" than 50 men and women over 18 years old (presumably competent adults due to the jury pool being constructed of people who have driver licenses) going through jury selection for a day and a half for a meaningless, trivial case that should have been pleaded out to save everyone the trouble. Yup, not to sound bitter, but that was what I was doing for all of Friday and part of Monday, when I should have been at work or doing ANY OTHER ACTIVITY AVAILABLE TO ME. I want my 10 hours back. At least this time I figured it out, something I missed the first two times: Ventura County, at least, has a comically lenient stance towards "hardships" that allow people to limit the damage of jury duty to one day and avoid getting on a panel. Not suggesting anyone lie to get out of jury duty, and I certainly didn't, but the standards for being excused seems EXTREMELY paper thin. I was surprised when half of the panel I was in claimed hardship ( I didn't at first), more surprised when some just plainly stated, "I have vacation coming up" without further explanation, and EVEN MORE SURPRISED when they were excused!!!! I don't get paid if I don't go to work, and I felt that was MUCH MORE of a hardship than a vacation, so later on I explained to the judge my "hardship." BUT NOT AFTER HAVING WASTED TEN HOURS OF MY LIFE!!!! I'll say it again: The jury system is broken. (See my September 25, 2012 article.

2.) At some point during high school I realized I was not a great musician. I'd started playing violin since I was 7 and it was a big part of my childhood, but the age-old problem was I didn't like it. I didn't have enthusiasm, and the results showed: my progress slowed down, I didn't concentrate during violin lessons, I only went because I thought I would let down my parents if I didn't. However, despite slogging through years of orchestra and violin lessons in high school and then completely going cold turkey in college, I realized how much I missed it, and joined the Lawyers Philharmonic, and I've played 3 times at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Here's some reasons why everyone should learn an instrument (I've played clarinet and violin in my life, and later on I want to try guitar/ cello!)

1.) makes one appreciate classical music, a dying art
2.) makes one understand how to fix one's mistakes (tons of them when playing music)
3.) helps to find one's passion (if not music, then move oneself in a different direction)
4.) understand the concept of a group endeavor- one violin misses the mark, makes the whole orchestra suffer.
5.) cuz one can attract chicks that way- psych, just kidding, not really




3.) The next career decision I make will be my third: When I went to undergrad I decided to major in finance and be some sort of businessman, but that didn't work out. When I went to law school I was set on being a lawyer......and here I am. I just don't think I will be a lawyer my whole life (although I'll probably get sucked dry from paying my share of bar dues every year) and anticipate having to go down my 3rd career path in a few years. I've learned from my first few choices, having not been selected under the best circumstances possible. I studied finance because it seemed like a reputable occupation so that I could justify my college decision and having worked so hard in high school only to go to the local state school, and then law I did to make money and "because I didn't know what else to do after undergrad." This 3rd decision needs to be motivated mainly by things I actually like (I sometimes get upset at the legal system and other lawyers) , what I think I will be good at (I admittedly am not very good at law) and what can be an enjoyable career for the rest of my life. I will do some research.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: