Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Arm Injuries


It’s hard to fathom how a human being can throw more than 90 MPH, even more than 100 MPH. That’s twice as fast as my hardest throw! (About 51 MPH, I’ve timed it). It’s uncanny how someone’s arm can be constructed that way, yet every major league baseball team has multiple players who can throw that fast.

I’ve often bragged to others how I’m one of the healthiest people in the world, and that may be true (haven’t gotten sick in years ever since I moved to LA), but even I get arm injuries after dodgeball if I’ve thrown a lot of balls. The human body is not meant to throw balls at a high rate of speed; it’s not geared to do so, and definitely not for massive quantities of throws.

Places where it hurts:
  1. shoulder
  2. elbow.
I mean really the two most obvious places, A lot of torque goes into a throw, and something called the “rotator cuff” gets damaged constantly due to the tremendous rotation

What’s more impressive: a 140 MPH tennis serve, or a 95 MPH baseball pitch? I’m told it’s all in the mechanics, but there certainly has to be a lot of natural talent involved. I admire all those guys who have to nurse arm injuries, and will no longer question “the toughness” of pitchers who sit out due to a sore arm. I will now go nurse my own “barking” shoulder injury.


Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: