Friday, June 26, 2015

Rounding 30: Wanting to become great

Addendum to the last article about wanting to do something great:


Sometimes I feel like our selves are a composite of all those that have come before us: after all, we are the product of our parents, our ancestors, and those ancestors all had personalities. On any given day, even though physically I feel the same, and I could be doing the same routine day of work, I can be motivated to do different things, and have a different mindset. Some times I am caring and friendly, that's the Social Butterfuly ancestor talking; sometime I am very competitive and aggressive about winning: that's the Chinese warlord acting from years ago. Sometimes I feel very purposeful and diligent; that's the Worker Bee self coming out. There's no telling when these identities will appear and there's no way to control them, but I do think it exists. And no, I'm not diagnosed with multiple personality disorder like in Identity (although, that's a great movie to describe the situation). I remember everything that happens to me, the personalities don't block each other out or cause any type of memory loss; it just sometimes something "comes over me" or "I feel different."

Recently from these personalities, the "Do Something With your life!" personality has been coming out alot. The Chinese have a proverb that goes something like this: 三十而立. Meaning, you establish yourself in society when you turn 30. It makes a lot of sense, and alludes to what I talked about last year: I feel I've grown to become what I can become, my peak physical and mental form where I can do anything I want, and I have the motivation to do things, to accomplish things (which I understand fades as one grows older) and am still hungry to be somebody, to have an impact on society. That's exactly how I feel: All men must die, but before then I want to live. Ok that's actually from Game of Thrones, but the sentiment is that I want to be known for something, not waste this life.


Todd Frazier's definitely making an impact on society as he rounds into 30 (He turned 29 in February). YES! FANTASY BASEBALL! Still following it, even though participating in this "game" goes against my fundamental philosophy of getting busy accomplishing something. O well. I have 2 years until I hit 30. Watching Frazier's at-bats and his growth from a young pup in 2013 to what he is now, one of the most feared hitters in the game, is a real treat. He doesn't look all that intimidating, his swing doesn't look all that prodigious and he isn't the biggest physical specimen in the world, but when he hits the ball in the air, it just keeps carrying, and carrying, and carrying.......until it leaves the yard, 24 times this year before even the halfway point of the season. It's not like he's just selling out trying to hit homers neither; plenty of times with 2 strikes he pokes pitchers's pitches that are 2 inches off the ground into the opposite field, enough for a .294 average. A real joy and great proponent of the Todd Frazier Theory (see previous article).


Mark Buehrle is everything I like about baseball wrapped into one: I remember watching his major league debut with the White Sox in 2001, I remember watching his perfect game in 2007, I remember him winning a World Series in 2005, and here he is in 2015, 36 years old but still one of the fastest workers in the game and best fielding pitchers in the game (Gold Glove caliber) taking a bullet every time he takes the mound by pitching home games in Toronto. I root for him every time. 8-4 and a 3.81 ERA in the American League East, above-average by any measure. I wish I had a Mark Buehrle-day controlling my body once in a while.

Billy Burns is better than Coco Crisp's prime (the man he replaced). Billy Burns is better than people pegged him to be (just a speedster). Billy Burns is arguably better than Billy Hamilton (recently moved to 9th). I would definitely rather have him than Byron Buxton, this season and in all seasons to come. Billy Burns is the post-hype sleeper that every no-patience-for-prospects manager loves. I love Billy Burns.

Zach Britton deals 96-97 MPH heat with huge downward movement is one of the surest things in fantasy baseball right now. On pace with 45+ saves.

Nolan Arenado is not on my team this year, but I've loved watching his progression. Great defensive player, now a great offensive player in what is a changing of the guard in Colorado (from the Tulo-Cargo Era). Welcome to the Blackmon (another emerging youngster)- Sharknado era.

I have now converted firmly to the "Squeezing the Orange" theory: that hot streaks are a thing and you should ride a player when he is hot and dont' stop until he cools off. Some hitters just have that swing going and their body replicates it night after night, and they continue on a roll, until the homestand is over or until baseball eventually catches up to them. So for those who argue that each night is independent of the next, I totally disagree, especially for hitters: I'll ride the hot hitters all the time, every time. It can happen to anybody too. Chris Young, (the other Chris Young), for instance, is on a 9-game hitting streak where he's batting like .500. Many in the fantasy community would have never thought he had that ability due to his horrendous strikeout totals.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan


No comments: