Sunday, November 13, 2011

What's on my IPod,

It occurred as I was doing my jog after my uber-fantasy blog earlier this evening that I don't talk about music much......It is, after all, a big part of my life. I started playing violin when I was 7, played in a bunch of youth orchestras, still play in the LA Lawyers Philharmonic (although, I actually have to make it to rehearsal one of these weeks)... I genuinely like playing violin, it's a big stress relief, and I'm genuinely fond of some time-honored classical pieces (notice I used the proper term "pieces," not "songs" - Vivaldi's Four Seasons comes to mind, Beethoven's Opus No. 5, Tsaichovsky's Marche Slaive (although that thing's brutally difficult for 1st violins).

But, not unlike many Americans, I am sucked into the Top 40 hits, the most popular music that's featured prominently on Kiss FM stations everywhere. The tunes are so catchy and are designed specifically to get you pumped up, are very available, and like a drug, they make you want to go back and listen over and over again.


Like others, too, I have songs that are "go-to" for me, like I "go to" them first on my 3-mile jogs, or "go to" them and keep listening if they're on the radio. I got my IPod (I know, already obselete technology) in 2008, so I downloaded all of these "tunes" since then. Here's my Top 10:


10.) The Show Goes On (Lupe Fiasco): Very nostalgic for me of Spring 2011, my most recent ASB trip to Seattle/Orcas Island, Washington. Love it.

9.) Viva La Vida (Coldplay): Perfectly signifies what happens on Big Brother (power shifts, going from the king to dusting the streets and all that jazz). Great lyrics. Smart; very smart.

8.) The Sweet Escape (Gwen Stefani): Use it when you're busting out of the house or whatever monotonous activity you were doing to go for a run. Great release, makes you want to go faster. And the music video's HOOOOOOT.

7.) Big Girls Don't Cry (Fergie): Takes me back to the simple days of the summer of 2007, a time of less stress, great economy, still working as a bus captain at a great summer camp job... I can still feel the warm summer breeze.

6.) Amazing (Kayne): play it every time the NBA Playoffs come on. Perfect song for that occasion and also after you've accomplished something (recently for me, not too much......cross my fingers for this Friday!)

5.) Who's that Chick ( Rihanna): song that recently caught on. Just super, super catchy. As I run, I do a little fist pump whenever the melody changes. That's when you know you're addicte to a song.

4.) Ignition (R. Kelly): Great song in 2001 or so....O man brings me back.

3.) Lose Yourself (Eminem): Every time I play this song I run a little faster, stand more erect, get focused.....you literally cannot do anything else when you hear this song.

2.) On the Floor (J. Lo): On fire.

1.) Party in the USA (Hannah Montana): this 2009 hit is gonna go down as one of the best songs in Hannah Montana's repetoire, maybe even of this century so far. Seriously, don't you just want to just have a party every time you listen?


OK, so ya, a lot of girly music, I know, and a lack of rock. I told you, I get sucked in. What can I say?


Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: