Friday, November 11, 2011

The Smartest Guy in the Industry

Recently I've come to a revelation: I'm not that smart.

As arrogant as this seems in that it presupposes that I AM smart and also indicates that I once thought I WAS pretty smart, I think it's a very humble and honest assessment of my place in the world.

In grade school up until high school, I felt smart. Things came easily, I did my homework quickly, I got good grades, got awards for being smart. Yay for me. Everybody congratulated me, I tooted my own horn, felt great. BAM....get to college, and find out everyone at college did pretty well in high school too...so it's the cream of the crop. It's harder to get an A, people in discussions think of things that I never thought of, others' essays are more brilliantly written, things don't come so easily to me anymore, I often find myself confused. Go to law school, find out there's even SMARTER people here, it's the cream of the cream of the crop from college, and now I'm definitely not at the elite status. People do better than me in school, people think more clearly,


this is definitely a problem in a knowledge industry. Especially in a field like law (kind of like philosophy, mathematics, etc.), it's an industry primarily based on knowlege, and the smartest guys in the industry are the ones people want to hire, people look to. Not being smart in this industry is definitely a problem.

But it's not a mortal failing. I can still go back to my main strengths: determination, work ethic, and a new one I'm finding quite suitable for myself: likability. As much as I don't get something, or have a hard time understanding a concept, I make up for it by reading it over and over again, owning it. If all else fails, I admit defeat, and try to wiggle out through some self-deprecating humor.

It's definitely a limitation I'm a little worried about, but I have to keep it in perspective: I'm a law school graduate from a top law school who will hopefully (gulp, cross fingers) be licensed to practice law in California very soon. I don't have to be the smartest guy in the industry; I'm already pretty smart. (Keep telling myself that, keep telling myself that)


Now a little note about the Penn St. scandal that's been all over the news: If you haven't been following, Penn St. assistant coach Jerry Sandusky allegedly took showers with several boys at Penn State facilitiates over the span of more than a decade but was never stopped by Penn State officials, and head coach Joe Paterno knew about the behavior but only reported to the higher authorities.

Here's my feeling: I love kids. I've always stated that. I love their enthusiasm, their energy for life; it can be one of the best times in a person's life. But it can also be the worst, because you can be taken advantage of by adults who abuse their position of power. This is the worst kind of abuse of power oo: Using the power to exploit other people who are powerless into doing what you want for you. We as adults have so much power to make a positive change in a child's life, and that responsibility is an ultimate duty that we cannot breach. You can breach your duty to clean up after yourself, you can breach your duty to feed your pets, you can even breach your duty to be a good spouse (although, not recommended), but you CANNOT breach your duty to a child. That duty is inherent the day you become an adult and applies to everyone, even those who do not actively victimize children but know that it is going on. You have a duty to each and every child that is living, especially when you know they are being victimized by someone they cannot combat. So shame on you, Joe Paterno, shame on you, Penn St. administration and everyone who took a blind eye. May your failings be a lesson and a reminder to us all of what children mean to us.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: