Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NFL Rewind

Not a salesperson for the National Football League, but nfl.com has this nice feature called NFL Rewind that lets you go back and watch all the games for the whole season for a pretty-neat deal of $40.00 for the whole season. Get a couple of your friends to chip in, gather around, each game only lasts about an hour for the "full version," 30 minutes for the condensed. Nothing like the 3-hour marathons you sludge through on Sundays. Only problem with it? You don't get the games until the day AFTER the games are played, when all the excitement is gone and your co-workers at the water cooler have already talked about it. I still love it. Great for tracking your fantasy players' progress.

Now imagine if you had this feature for life....called Life Rewind. O man, how useful would that be. Top 5 things I could use it for:

1.) Rewind and watch myself in key moments of my life, like job interviews, dates, sports games, etc......watch myself and evaluate my own performance.

2.) Go back and relive cool moments in your life, or vacations.....see what you missed. It's like watching a movie a second time.... you always find something new. That would be what Life Rewind would be all about. I'm a guy who dwells on things (for example, I look back on my high school chess games all the time and think what I could have done differently), so Rewind would allow me to go back and relive.

3.) Fast forward through the boring stuff. The long rides in traffic, boredom, hearing your parents lecture you about brushing your teeth the right way, blah, blah, blah......"

4.) Settle your doubts. If you're anything like me and are awaiting the California bar results, it's the sense of not knowing that's driving you crazy. What if you missed this issue on the test? What did I answer for that specific question? Life Rewind would let you go back and know what you did, when you did it.....at least you would know.


Anyway, now that I think about it, probably not as cool, and seems like a terrible waste of time.....gotta live in the now, plan for the future....the past is behind us.

Which is why I'm looking ahead to the rest of the fantasy football season.

Fred Jackson can't continue to be the #1 running back in all of fantasy, can he? I'd let someone else take a chance. However, remind yourself that football more than any other season is very different year to year.....you'll never have a nobody in fantasy baseball finish in the top 5 in all of fantasy, but you might get TWO in fantasy football (Peyton Hillis, Mike Vick last year), so you never know.

I'd avoid trading heavy for Running backs. The way RB's take abuse and get injured this year, I'd take a chance on any other position. Hate to try to predict injuries, but just look at Jamaal Charles, Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, and Peyton Hillis and you know I'm right. Backup RB's can also fill in and do the job right away....WR's and TE's usually cannot. Certainly not QB's......Donald Brown can do just as good a job as Joseph Addai, Chris Ivory for Mark Ingram, Jackie Battle for Jamaal Charles, to name a few. It takes a while for receivers to build a repertoire with QB's even if they step into a featured role... the QB can just go elsewhere.

Buy Ben Roethlisberger. The casual fan might not know it and think the Steelers are a ground-and-pound football team with lots of running, but that's dead run. Big Ben operates a spread offense-like attack and hands it off only as a breather and to keep the defense honest. Also with that, take Steeler WR/TE's.

I TOLD you about Mike Vick. For the umpteenth time since Vick broke into the league, the Bears handled him and exposed how you beat him on Monday Night Football. I'd stay away from his WR's neither, but not Shady McCoy. He's a beast.

More from my NFL Rewind observations: Aaron Rodgers will throw at least 3 touchdown passes every play, and they have like 1 rushing TD all season and no 100-yard rushing days. It's strictly passing all the way.

The Seahawks are bad. But you didn't need me to tell you that.

Jake Ballard and Victor Cruz are like the best receiving targets for Eli Manning, and Manning throws a lot. Get them.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: