Sunday, August 7, 2011

What would I do if were a millionaire



It's weird: When you're in the midst of a VERY busy period, like studying for the bar...all you think about is how much you hate it, what you would be rather doing, how much more efficiently you could be spending your time, how much alcohol you will drink after it's all over (not suggested for readers under 21 years of age; drink responsibly).....

But once you've gotten over that period in your life, oddly you miss things about that time, like the single-mindedness of your efforts, how much you felt like you learned in a day, the sense of achievement....

Eh, who am I kidding. I would rather be on vacation all the time.

Makes me wonder, though, what I would do if money wasn't an issue anymore, I had all the money I needed for the rest of my life.....a very common thought for a lot of folks, not usually a realistic concern for most. Some say they would actually just...go back to work. I say, yes, that might be true for some lucky folks who really enjoy their work and they stumbled into a profession that they're really passionate about, but I don't think that's the case for the vast majority of people. Having never really worked for more than 3 months consecutively at a full-time job, I can't say for certain what I would do.

1. Pro bono legal work: Yea, I could see myself doing this for awhile. Lots of people in need of free legal advice, attorney services who can't afford it. But dunno if it would be a lifelong pursuit.

2. Baseball stadium trip: all 30 MLB stadiums. That'd be exciting, but it'd last for.....like a month.

3. Travel: sure, sure, standard. But that'd get old after probably a year, right?

4. Alternative Spring Break: Ah, yes, here I think I've touched on something: I've done Alternative Spring Break since college began (traveled to faraway places like Seattle, Florida, and Virginia), and I gotta say it's one of the best experiences ANYONE can have. Hands down. I'm pretty sure I would never get tired of Alternative Spring Break because a.) issues are all different....each trip has a different purpose in mind, whether it's children in crime-ridden areas, children with disabilities, environmental aid, etc., etc. b.) you meet lots of great people on each trip...all peers who also have volunteering on their minds...and c.) it really actually makes an impact....you feel like your reachign out to others, as well as doing great things for your self-development. I'd love it.

So yes, 50 Alternative Spring Break trips in 50 weeks (maybe in 50 different states too?) Yes, my idea is motivated by Daniel Seddiqui's 50 jobs in 50 states, but it's really just a good thing to do.

Now if I can only accomplish the first part, of attaining as much money as I could ever need.....

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: