Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs




On the day that Steve Jobs(!) resigned from his job at Apple, I examine one of the hottest topics in the nation, maybe the world: Jobs, jobs, jobs.

1. How many people actually like their jobs?
Anywhere from around 25-40% is what I hear.......which seems actually a little high to me, given how much complaining goes on, to my ears: although, I've also met several people who enjoy their jobs and really match it up to their passion. Great. I think, for most, however, it's hard to check one or the other, "I like my job" or "I dislike my job." I think most people like parts of their jobs and dislike other parts, so they mostly neutralize each other.

2. Which state in the U.S. has the most jobs?
Well, probably California cuz it has the highest population and the most business (but also one of the highest unemployment rates), but the lowest unemployment rate belongs to that of North Dakota at a puny 3.3%. I like those odds. Just saw interview on Cramer with the Governor of that state; encourages unemployed people to move over to N. Dakota and get a job there. Huh. Interesting idea, besides the obvious question of "What is there to do in N. Dakota?" But do they REALLY have EXCESS jobs to just Give away? Seems highly unlikely.

3. Why are jobs so different?
It always infuriates me when an NFL player or some other sports star "holds out" for more money despite already having an offer on the table for millions of dollars. It's really easy to blame the player or agent in that situation. But you know what's also a huge contributing factor? The fact that jobs are so different. Certain things are very high in demand; others are just not; it's actually kind of patently unfair, but it's the product of a capitalist society where everything is priced according to its value: certain skills, like being able to hit a 95MPH-fastball, are just more valuable than being able to cook a fine casserole dish because they generate higher bottom lines for a company. Supply and demand. (This is also sometimes flawed, as in the case of high-earning CEO's drawing million-dollar salaries despite company bottom lines being in the red. Urg.)

4. What value do people place on their jobs?
Considering there are 168 hours in a week, and only about 112 of those are waking, and work takes up about 45-50 of those hours (give or take depending on the commute), most people are at their job almost HALF the time. And it really takes up the majority of the weekday because those days are primarily spent with your job in mind; coming home and relaxing is just winding down; so really jobs consumes like 5 out of every 7 days. So it's really a big deal. It's the first standard question after people first meet you and get your name: "So what do you do?" It determines what social class you're in; it somewhat decides what friends you have (a lot of friends tend to be co-workers), so a job defines a lot of what your life is about. I think it's probaby 3rd on a very informal list I have: 1. your own life, 2. your family, 3. your job, 4. your friends, 5. your interests/hobbies, etc., etc.


5. What if you don't have a job?
Welcome to my world. It's frustrating, it really is. I've personally had a lifetime's worth of sitting at home on a late Tuesday morning watching daytime television, feeling useless while the rest of society works; I'm ready to work. But it's just the nature of the beast: most people go through at least one stretch of unemployment in their lives. I hope this is my only one. Going with #4, it's also like a big piece of my life is missing: like I don't have all the necessary things in life yet, and it leaves me wanting. I need that part of my identity at dinner parties to say, "I'm a lawyer," without having to explain after the subsequent "So where do you work" that I'm an unemployed lawyer. Sigh.

6. Can you change jobs?
Fortunately, Yes, in America careers are pretty flexible, you can make a big move. But it's still not that easy. And when starting a new career, you get back into that old trap: you gotta have experience to get experience: people ask why you wanted to transition to that new career.

O, a job. Such a simple concept. And so universal. But so complex as well. May the universe allow me to find just the right one.........sooner than later, please.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

3.

No comments: