Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I love this job!




I've held back from this post for a while now for various reasons: 1. I do this job in the summer, the months when my brain usually turns off, 2. I don't want to sound like a pedophile (this job deals with kids, and there's a stigma in our society for any adults working with kids), and 3. I've been dedicated to law as my career path for 3 years now, and I didn't want to be distracted.

But it's true: I love being a counselor for kids. I've done it for the last 6 summers, plus a few weeks in between for volunteer, and random times when I meet kids at social events, etc. It's exhilarating. I basically get paid to be a big kid an lead kids in games......and for some reason the kids listen to me. It's probably cuz I'm actually cool to them......I'm the big guy they look up to and respect. Selfishly, I love that. Growing up, I was never the most popular kid, never the guy people looked forward to seeing, never the coolest kid in school.


I love games. And over the course of 6 years I've developed some great games. Look Up, the 5 second game, Foxes and Hounds, Catch or Don't Catch, etc., etc......all games I wish somebody taught me when I was a kid. These games are out of the age range of my peers, but perfect when I go to camp.

I think another part of the equation is being able to hang out with probably the best group of people in the world: Young kids. Kids are as diverse as adults are: they vary in race, age, gender, personalities, attitudes, habits, appearance, etc., etc., but there's an important characteristicthey do not share with adults: innocence. Kids, no matter how disrespectful, how angry, how misbehaved, (and I've had a lot of these types of kids), are never evil by nature. They are really good-hearted to begin with, and they naturally have a good heart: they don't want bad things to happen to anyone. It's only later on in life that young adults (teens) and adults form some of the evils of life: lying, jealousy, wrath, hatred, the seven sins, etc., etc. Kids aren't like that: I sense the good in every kid, which is why I like to talk to each and every one of them, see how they feel, what their hopes and dreams are, what they may become in the future. So many possibilities.

Honestly, sometimes I wish I could deal with just kids, instead of going to networking events, or dealing with telemarketers, or attending a party (although, obviously there's some exceptions, I still do have a social life). When you're dealing with kids, there's really no hidden agendas, no prejudices, no stereotypes, no preconceived notions, no jealousies, etc. etc. People aren't getting to know you to try to get a job or vice versa, or not trying to have an ulterior motive, kids just want to have fun. It's good, honest, wholesome fun.

One of the best feelings in the world is helping a kid succeed at something, accomplish something, win something, or just feel good about themselves. It's one of the most gratifying feelings in the world, much better than earning a huge paycheck or any material possessions. For example, today we had our Olympics competition at camp. Almost everyone participated in the Rock Scissors Papers tournament, a 2-out-of-3 competition featuring the most well-known game in the world: everyone knew how to play: and everyone had an equal chance. The look on the little girl's face who beat about 30 other competitors was amazing: she hadn't expected to win the competition or any competition at all, and doing something special like that was a real treat. I couldn't wait to give her one of our REAL GOLD (but actually plastic) Olympic medals signfying her victory. The important thing, also, was that the kids enjoyed the competition (that I created. When kids are having fun, I'm having fun (and doing my job). I love it.

So that's what I want out of my career in the future, regardles, of which career I land up in (law is obviously the frontrunner at this point, and to be fair, I do get enjoyment out of legal jobs, just not the moments of pure thrill I sometimes get from beiga counselor): I get gratification beyond wealth. Sure, I need to get paid to pay the bills, but I value personal fulfillment over high wages. Life is so much easier when you love what you do.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: