Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jeopardy!


This is.........JEOPARDY!!!!

Went to a Jeopardy taping yesterday with my roommate, made a day out of it. Tuesday and Wednesday were 2 of the most miserable days of the semester with the rain coming down hard, going through the mid-week doldrums, going to law school-to my internship-back to law school-finally-home, and all the while going through traffic that conveniently gets worse when it rains (the theory being that Californians get crazier when the roads get wet).

I'm actually somewhat suprised people in LA have umbrellas. I expected people to say, "Hey, why's water coming out of the sky?"

Anyway, Jeopardy was an interesting experience. Alex Trebek seems like one of those uncles you might have that can talk all day about anything, or maybe like an avuncular college professor. Some people in the audience had some nose-pickingly stupid questions for him, though, that I thought was a waste. There was even a gunner in the row ahead of us. Tsk, tsk.

Johnny Gilbert is the voice of Jeopardy that introduces us to the show, and the man has a sweet voice. Oh boy, would I relish having a golden voice. Since I was a kid I've listened to a lot of radio shows, primarily sports radio shows, and I've grown up listening to some distinct voices. I wish I were one of them. Radio would be my thing: express my opinions without too much of a filter and interview people and have a conversation: now that'd be a job. (Not that being a lawyer wouldn't be a good job now, all you firms out there).

Anyway, yea, going to Jeopardy's worth it. It goes by pretty pick, tickets are free, Sony Studios right next to my house. Planning on taking people to Price is Right or some other game show this year too, make a day out of it. Might as well enjoy L.A. while I'm here.

What's most striking about Jeopardy for me is realizing how many smart people there are out there. Granted, Jeopardy has the caveat of attracting the smartest people in the country and gathering them on one 30-minute show, but still, it's striking how much these people know. They are without a doubt, 100%, I'd-bet-my-last-poker-chip-on-it, have a higher IQ than me. It's not depressing, it's humbling. Like in grade school and high school I thought I was all that and a bag of chips for being in honors classes and getting good grades, that's nothing. Now we're wading with the big boys, like going from college to the pros, these are all people who were geniuses and smartest kids of their high school.

For those who feel a bit intimated (like me), gotta remember, though, that life isn't about knowing-the-most-trivia smart, or being-an-expert-at-something smart. Sure, having those things really helps, and you should try for them as bonuses. However, life is all about living-your-life-smart, and the people who are best at that enjoy their life the most. And that kind of smart goes into so many things that I'd put myself in jeopardy of not finishing the list. Pun intended. (Ah See? I'd be such a good radio host). Who am I kidding?

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: