Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Faint (필름이 끊기다, 気絶, 暈)

Recently I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or just losing my mind, but I've been starting to fall asleep for just a brief time during the work day, right around lunch or so. I try to fight it and offer resistance, but it's like a monster that cannot be satiated, an unstoppable force, a driving desire, to have my system shut down for a little bit. I don't think it's a bad thing......if there's one thing I've learned, it's to listen to what the body wants, whether it's getting more sleep, drinking more water, eating food in order to avoid being hangry........it's like refreshing a computer.......the body has been on for so long that it needs a quick reboot to clear away all the debris. Unfortunately, after-lunch time is also working time, and I can't be

Koreans call blacking out (usually from excessive consumption of alcohol) "the film being cut," a funny idiom that does actually happen to me.......I'll be watching a movie but be really tired and ready for sleep, and all of a sudden I've fallen asleep. MJ is the queen of this........pop in a movie anytime after 10PM and she'll probably fall asleep within a half hour of the start of the movie. Sleep is a powerful force that cannot be and should not be reckoned with. That's why I have tried to stay away from the drugs, and why it's probably best that I never try them.....my body is particularly susceptible to needing things and I usually succumb to what my body tells me to do, so if I develop an addiction or dependency on something I won't be able to shake it off. I'm already addicted to sleep and running as it is (I just don't feel good about myself if I don't get a little bit of a workout in every day).

I've never been so drunk that I "blacked out" and did things while I was drunk that I don't remember the next day........the only thing I do is all of a sudden fall asleep and next thing I know I've woken up. Not a good feeling, but comparably better than waking up knowing you did some weird stuff when drunk.

Ways to avoid fainting while at work:
1.) Get up and walk around
2.) Go engage in a conversation with a co-worker where you actually have to use your mind quickly....talking requires conscientiousness.
3.) Caffeine.......I try to avoid this (coffee and coke) because I don't think it's "natural." The most natural form of staying awake is letting the body do the work during sleep.
4.) Don't resist. Go to a quiet place and just sleep for 10 minutes, then come back feeling refreshed.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: