Monday, May 13, 2019

Eating Healthily (올바르게 먹으면 건강한 몸을 가질 수 있다)

The above in Korean roughly translates to, "If you eat properly you will have a healthy body." 

It's been a great source of debate between MJ and I over the years: what contributes to better health and a healthy body: more exercise or healthy eating? I've always been in the camp of, "I can eat whatever I want because I can burn it off by running later," but MJ, having taken nutrition class recently and not exercising much, insists it's about the food you eat that keeps you healthy and more importantly, not get fat. It's probably most correct to do both to ensure best results, but I've recently saw new light from her side: 


Aside from the fact that exercising can cause the body to wear down faster (MJ worries about my knees when I run outside) and cause wrinkles, dry skin, etc., exercising can cause you to overeat........whenever I'm done with a long workout, I let myself go with a huge meal a.) because I think I've earned it and b.) I've gotten really hungry after expending so much energy. So I eat all I can get my hands on, like meat, rice, fries, etc......veggies and fruits are kinda thrown by the wayside since they don't make the hunger subside as much as the "big food items do. So exercising has an inverse relationship with healthy eating for me. Whereas healthy eating actually causes me to exercise more. When I don't eat very well, I don't feel very good and energized, and I mentally have to force myself to go run in fear of the consequences if I don't, but if I eat healthy stuff I feel better on the runs, feel more energetic, it comes naturally. Best feeling I get is being loaded up on bananas and/or apples and running........feel like the water weight is dripping right off me. Direct relationship. 

I think food science is actually pretty cool, and being a nutritionist or food scientist could be a nice job. It might even be a job with growth now that people understand the effects of sugar, fat, etc. Nowadays I look at soda (aka "sugar water," mass fatty foods and wonder how I ever consumed that stuff in such quantities. MJ and I even have a book about how food works! 


Fantasize on, 

Robert Yan 

No comments: