Monday, May 20, 2019

Abortion (낙태, 妊娠中絶, 堕胎)

The most controversial topic in the past week in America hasn't been the Game of Thrones finale, which brought an end to one of the most iconic TV franchises in history, nor is it the trade war raging between America and China that might lead to a cold war between the 2 biggest superpowers the in the world today, nope, it's the Alabama law that was passed banning abortions in all cases, even in rape and incest. The whole country seems to be against this law, even some Republicans are saying it's too extreme to ban abortions in all cases, and the fact there were only 4 female Alabama senators who passed this law (with MANY more male senators) makes it even more like men imposing laws on woman on what to do with a woman's body.

I don't tell many people this because I'm not proud of it, but in high school I tried to act like a right-wing person because I tried to "stand out from the crowd" since everyone I knew was a liberal and they seemed to outnumber people and overwhelm them with their beliefs, and I wanted to have my own identity. I therefore often took positions on the right wing of things even if I didn't really have an opinion about it in the first case, just because it fit the "Republican" model. Euthanasia? Against because Republicans would be against it. Death penalty? For. Affirmative action? Against (I'm actually still against this policy but it's not because I just want to be right wing). Gun control? Against. (I've totally flip flopped on this and believe the Republicans aren't using common sense on this use. Abortion? Against.

Then, college happened, I matured, I carved out my own beliefs, I also listened a lot and found that both sides had certain arguments that I found appealing on most issues. However, I like to try to exercise common sense and use fairness and what's right as a guide. I've learned from having a sister, a mother, and now a wife who are all woman to understand the woman's perspective on abortion. I really can't imagine what it's like to be a woman with a child in their body that doesn't want the body, or feels abandoned (or is actually abandoned) by the father of the baby, or isn't ready for the baby, or any number of reasons why they would feel an abortion is necessary. I think the main arguments against abortion are based in religious beliefs and what qualifies as the beginning of life and I respect those who have conviction in their religious beliefs, which is probably why countries like China that don't have a high population of Catholic/ Christian followers also have been outraged by this new Alabama law. Anyway, I have formed my own beliefs on abortion and proud that I've broken away from just following a "playbook" on what to believe. There are so many things in this world that women have to deal with unfairly because they are created differently than men and thus treated differently; It seems to me that one of the most unfair burdens they have to take on (delivering babies) should allow them more leeway to do so and do it on their own time.


Also, in Korea, there is a ban on abortions, but The South Korean Constitutional Court on April 11, 2019 ruled the abortion ban unconstitutional and ordered the law's revision by the end of 2020. Some studies suggest there are 500,000 to 1 million abortions every year. That's a lot of abortions! Seems like a lot of impact on the general population and the readiness of mothers to have a kid even in other places in the world if abortions were completely outlawd. 

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: