Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Great Things about Going to the Zoo on a Date


I went on a date to the Los Angeles Zoo this past Sunday. Really great day, not too hot, so I’m probably biased, but it went really well. Here’s why:

 

1.)    Most people love animals, from kids to young adults to the older generation. There’s really no risk of being disappointed, you’re gonna at least see a few animals. Totally different from the hustle and bustle of the day or the random sightings of deer/ squirrels/ rabbits (or even coyotes in the L.A. area) out in the wild. Your date has a high chance of saying “yes” just to go to the zoo as opposed to proposing to go to (Choose sports event) because they’re not interested.

2.)    Everyone has at least one favorite animal. Great conversation topic, and great excuse to head in a certain direction or at least have a target destination. For me, the gorilla exhibit at the L.A. Zoo is always the highlight of my trip, which is probably why it’s in the center of the zoo and has the most spectators at any time. They’re a family!

3.)    Maybe particular to me, but it’s a great way to learn vocabulary about animals in different languages! Even in English I have trouble with a lot of animal names (who knew what a cassowary?) Throw in a Chinese speaker (my date was, and I guess I am) and it’s a great review lesson for foreign languages. There was also of course Spanish written on the displays of many of the exhibits. Great. Quick lesson: seals are 海豹 (azarashi in Japanese) while sea otters are orラッコ(Japanese). Hardly knew the difference before!

4.)    I like day dates much more than night dates. Night dates are usually Friday night and Saturday night when everyone else in the world is going on dates, tables are hard to obtain, alcohol is expensive, and everywhere is crowded. The zoo is only open during the day, it’s not exactly the hottest ticket in town and there’s plenty of parking spaces/ walking room.

5.)    Creates some great photo opportunities. If you and your date are getting serious and you actually want to be seen in public, that is. Not great for random hookups/ non-serious flings, etc. Which is not what I am about.

6.)    You’re actually going to enjoy yourself! I hate going on dates that don’t go anywhere and I have to bend to the whims of others, and it seems more like work than anything, or like a job interview. No, I don’t want to sit down for 2 hours and sit across from you and just go over everything. This is my free time, too, and I’d like to spend it doing something that I enjoy, thank you.

7.)    It’s not that costly. Date night usually costs me around $80-$100 depending on what we do. The zoo is a fixed cost of $18 per person, plus maybe parking costs and a meal inside, pretty much like watching a movie, except I don’t have to sit through another contrived spin-off a show that is geared more towards making money off of me than delivering actually quality. The zoo is designed to make money too, but you know what you’re getting yourself into and you won’t be able to replicate that experience 2 months later on Netflix.

8.)    Get some exercise! I hate going on a date and coming back bloated/ knowing I’m gonna gain weight today because I spent the time just sitting down. Walking around the zoo is a nice little walk, probably a 3-mile walk all the way around, and I genuinely feel kind of tired at the end of it.

9.)    Lot of couples with kids milling around. I’m not a romantic guy, but even a lifeless android like me got a little sentimental and idealistic seeing all the strollers being wheeled around, hinting at life could be in the future should this thing go further…….something I value more than the drinking hookups (or hookup failures in my case) at bars.

10.) Be a kid! Life flashes before your eyes and before you know it you’re in your late-twenties, having to go to work all the time, having to pay bills and do adults things, all the while being pressured by your parents to find someone, which necessitated the date in the first place. Going to the zoo allows you to feel like you’re on a 6th grade class field trip again, full of energy and getting away from it all once again, except this time you’re doing it with someone you love/like/are going out with to see if you possibly will like or love sometime in the future.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: