Tuesday, October 28, 2014

J- Dramas! Sugoi!


Over the past year or so I’ve become a pretty big aficionado (Japanese=  専門家 or “senmonka” in Japanese) on Japanese dramas.  Apparently all Japanese dramas fit within certain “rules” that are different from the U.S. First of all, only 10 or 11 episodes……this to keep the audience from getting bored, I think. So the storyline of the whole season has to fit into just 10 or 11 episodes. The risk of rushing the story is usually mitigated by the fact that there aren’t very many filler episodes to drag the viewers through. Also, each year (like 2014) is cut into 4 seasons of TV (unlike the US “fall season” where all the good shows premiere), the Japanese shows premiere new shows in all 4 of the seasons, so that there’s fresh programming any time.

I find that most people like manga anyway, and that’s a whole different genre and area that I am unfamiliar with. However, Japanese dramas can give great perspective into the Japanese culture, food, and how normal people interact with each other (with a lot of Urusai! And Baka! – the equivalent of “shut up!”and “stupid!” much like U.S. culture, making fun of each other or genuinely being upset about things, Japanese people use things common terms of art pretty often.

Shinya Shokudo: great story about a Japanese pub owned by one “Master” that cooks meals for customers from the hours of midnight to 7AM. It’s really got that sense of the U.S. TV show “Cheers” in the sense of “where everybody knows your name.” Recurring characters pop up, there are bar “regulars” who have their own storylines. What’s striking to me is that the bar patrons are generally friendly to each other and will support each other and foot each other’s bill from time to time, or share the food. It’s a great collegial environment that’s filled with some great-looking food like Ramen, takoyaki, karaage (fried chicken) and other great pillars of the Japanese diet.

 

I got a new IPhone 6 last week. While I’m excited about getting a new phone and checking out all its features and having new and fancy things, I’m reminded about my philosophy on material goods, which is that phones are just a way to call people (and text people, and go on facebook, and check mail, and do everything so it’s actually a lot more than that), but I don’t need the fanciest of phones or flashiest of devices or biggest of screens or widest of bandwidths, as long as I get the functions I need. I don’t need the hippest car in the lot to get from one place to another, I view a car as more of a mode of transportation to get from one place to another.  Things I will put a premium on is convenience, being hospitable to others (treating others in a meal or at least picking up my portion of the tab) and getting new experiences (the only selfish one in this list but this isn’t being hypocritical, I actually feel this way). I really like being able to order more alcohol while everyone’s having a good time at the bar, or a new opportunity has arisen that friends want to do, or it just feels magnanimous to foot the bill. I understand that when I go on vacation, I will generally be taken advantage of, but that’s the cost of being in a whole new part of the world, in a culture I don’t know. At places like the Shinya Shokudo, where everyone got along and great experiences are to be had, I would put a premium on footing the bill, and even maybe picking up that of others, if a merry time is being had.
Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: