Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Violin 懐かしい (Nostalgia)




I’ve been playing violin (バイオリン in Japanese) for somewhere around 20 years now. It all started when my parents took me into the study at our house one day and explained, “here’s a violin, Robert.” And so it began. I  took violin lessons all throughout elementary and high school, participating in orchestras, duets, concerts, recitals, plays, school assemblies, civic orchestra performances, you name it. My crowning achievement, I guess, I wrote about a few years ago: playing in an orchestra that performed at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown L.A. (twice).

Recently, I accidentally left my violin in my car on a hot day and parked outside. BIG mistake. First rule of violin storage: always store in a cool place. The violin fingerboard (the long black part) warped, and now I need to bring it in for repairs. Yikes. My violin is the closest thing to a family heirloom that the Yans have. We bought it when I was in high school for $7,500 as an investment into my future.

I guess just a parenting lesson for my future self: Don’t’ forcefeed our kids into doing what the parent wants them to do. My dad is a big violin fan and classical music fan and played violin himself, so it’s natural that he wanted to me to play violin and become good. And it was very well intentioned; totally understand why he did that. However, those years of training me to become a violin prodigy did not match with my interests nor my ability: I was never terribly musically gifted and didn’t want to be a violinist; I would have done better during that time to hit a million tennis balls, or get better at chess (my real high school passion, although it certainly looks pretty nerdy now) and really allow me to compete during high school. (Note to future self: Don’t force-feed kids into doing competitive spelling, if that’s even around by then, in hopes of winning the National Spelling Bee just because I didn’t get to do it).

I used to think this one and blamed my parents. However, my violin ability is really good and I can at any point pick up a violin (if it’s not warped and deformed due to my own negligence, that is) and play in a semi-decent orchestra, partly because there’s always a need for more violins. I can play various scales and have various music from all kinds of performances I’ve given. I’ve met various other violinists, cellists, violists, drummers, singers, and other music people that have similar stories and learned a lot from them. I cherish the times I played violin in high school and played an essential part in the high school musicals that they performed (I was part of the pit) My fondest memory of playing violin is not necessarily the grandest stages or the most nerve-wracking solos or recitals playing by myself, but giving holiday benefit concerts at hospitals for kids to enjoy, playing Christmas songs and whatnot. That’s what it’s all about, and I owe a lot to being able to play violin.

I currently don’t play violin much anymore and have not played in any orchestras for a while (including the most recent L.A. Lawyers Philharmonic) due to pursuing other things (like learning Japanese, for example) and playing dodgeball. I think I’ve made the right choice there because my athletic ability will wane much earlier than my music ability (and sitting ability), and to a lesser extent my ability to learn language, but it’s also good to take time off to really miss doing something. However, no matter what, I’ll always remember my violin-playing days (kinda sounds like the Wild, Wild West) fondly and come back to it when the time is right.

What’s something that you used to do as a kid/ didn’t really like but now cherish? Have you thought about getting back to dabbling in it?

 

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: