Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Anatomy of a Fantasy Basketball Draft


A few weeks ago I covered the advantages of the Fantasy Auction Draft; and for those who choose them, enjoy- they're still my draft of choice. But that's not to say a serpentine draft is not fun as well, and the majority of fantasy drafts are conducted this way. Having amassed an inordinate amount of fantasy teams in my last 7 years, my genius conclusion is that fantasy drafts are very, VERY important. Their significance varies between 30%-60% of any fantasy season, probably on the high end of that for fantasy football, on the lower end for baseball (cuz you can save yourself more with free agents, etc. over the course of a season, and there's so many positions to fill.)

Here's the essential things you need to do before jumping into any fantasy draft:

1. Schedule your draft for an ideal time. Varies by what profession you're in, what your league members' line of work is in; your eating habits, your sleeping habits. Advice: Do NOT schedule the draft during a weekday: you will spend the rest of the week at work staring at your fantasy team.

2. Research, research, research. Worthy of another post.

3. Compile a list of players you want. I did this for my last draft.....keeps you on track and prevents you from going ape during the draft. A personal "America's Top Wanted" list.

4. Compile a list of players you DON'T want. Didn't do this, but have a mental list, an "I hate these players and I will never be burned by them ever again" list. Trust me, over the years I've compiled quote a list of these guys.

5. On the morning of the draft, have yourself a hearty breakfast.

6. Make sure you know exactly where you're gonna be during the draft. Scout the area, see if there's wi-fi, make sure nothing can go wrong. Worst thing to do is to get ready to pick your first player and have your connection cut out. Say it with me, "Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!"

7. Have hard copy of your draft list ready.

8. Prepare some snacks/ drinks. You're gonna be sitting there anywhere from 2 to 4 hours; might as well settle in and make sure you're equipped.

9. If your league has already disclosed a draft order, FIND OUT THAT ORDER!!!! And then prepare for it. At least know, given a certain situation, who you would pick.

10. Compile a list of players you want to take in an ideal draft. List'em out. Here was mine:


Deron Williams
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Brook Lopez
Rajon Rondo
Al Jefferson
Russell Westbrook
Andrewa Bargnani
Joakim Noah
Marc Gasol
Derrick Rose
John Wall
Manu Ginobili
Kevin Love
Paul Millsap
Eric Gordon
Blake Griffin
Lamar Odom
DeMarcus Cousins
Roy Hibbert
Tyrus Thomas
Carl Landry
JaVale McGee
Andris Biedrins
Robin Lopez
James Harden
J.R. Smith
George Hill
DeJuan Blair

Also take at bottom of draft: D.J. Augustin, Beno Udrih, Aaron Afflalo (great bets based on preseason play)

Here's how my pick went.........take it as an "expert example." You know, like how an expert would draft. I drafted #8 in a 14-team head-to-head league with some USC Law colleagues. Here were the proceedings:

First round.....I know I have the 8th pick coming in. Looking at Danny Granger, Deron Williams, whoever's left. The draft goes exactly according to order, with Durant, Chris Paul, and LeBron coming off early. Mistake, if you ask me. Who the heck is LeBron. But then, in a probably-not-that-odd-for-normal-peoplebut odd for nerdy fantasy nerds like me situation, Stephen Curry goes, Kobe goes, Deron Williams goes......leaving me with Dwayne Wade, if I want him. Totally unexpected, Wade has been a fantasy god for the last several years. But do I take him over Granger? I take the full 90 seconds and decide to stick w/ my research and go with Granger. (Which, as you probably read from the Headhunter letter, I did NOT advise doing. I've ah, had a change of heart). Mr. Granger, here's to your health.

2nd round......I have the 21st pick, and I love, just LOVE, players ranked 17-20........Kidd, Nash, Brook Lopez......I really want a top-tier point guard to not have to worry about it. Then there's Rondo at 24, and there's no Celtics fans in front. Looks good, pretty sure I'll get at least one of my targets. Kidd goes after the wrap-around, Nash goes, guy at #20 right in front of me takes the full 90 seconds......and takes RONDO!!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!!! There goes my early-PG strategy, I HATE Monta Ellis, and think Tyreke Evans will have sophomore slump, and think it's too high anyway. Finally I settle on Andre Iguodala, someone I had not researched AT ALL before the draft. A cross-your-fingers pick.......not happy at this point.

3rd round........I had Bargnani on my list, and everyone totally ignores him. I finally get an easy round. I click and move on.

4th round.....I'm thinking either Wall, Ginobili or Love here. The previous 2 go off. But I LLLLLLOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEE love. Lots of jokes in there. I'm sure I'll disperse them over the course of this season....warm-hearted jokes if he does well, disparaging "curse-you" jokes if he sucks.

5th round.......what pick was this, #63? I took Nene here suspecting some kind of trick.....he wasn't supposed to fall this far, was he? Did he break both his legs? What happened. I decide to take and ask questions later.......If a guy goes about 30 or picks later and is still available, I say break the rules and just take him, if not for sheer value.

6th round....... still don't have a PG. Getting worried, but don't like the guys coming up like B-diddy, etc...... Don't have PG's late on my -re-arranged list..... might just wait til WAY late. I go a bit undisciplined, which I don't recommend.......take John Salmons, who hasn't played in the preseason. Might be the worst pick of my draft.


7th round......AK-47 still around. Can't resist the possible 1.6 steals and 1.6 blks.....premimum numbers. I'll be punting assists probably cuz of lack of a PG, don't want to punt steals too.

8th round.........Missed out on a bunch of the big men I had targeted.......either Robin Lopez or Andris Biedrins here. Took the Warrior, not sure if it's the right choice. Lopez a young stud who's unrivaled for big man minutes in Phoenix.

9th round...........finally snag my PG. D.J. Augustin, as planned. Don't laugh, this is well though out.....young player who is finally now a starter with plenty of opportunity.

DeJuan Blair.....is the starter in San Antonio. And he's a starter on my team. 13 and 9 is great for me. Let's go!!!!!

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: