Friday, October 19, 2007

On to the application

So I've got my final application #'s for LSAT: I just got my Sep. 2007, and I did just a tad worse than i expected, no biggie: 167............i was expecting like a 168, 169, which woulda been nice, but 167 is no slouch. I did really poorly in my standards, -9 in logical reasoning combined, a bunch of wrong answers were between 2 answer choices that I had narrowed it down to, and i just picked the wrong one outta those 2. I kick myself thinking if i had won the coin-flip w/ myself in just 2 of those questions, i woulda gotten 169, a really solid score. O well.

So now I'm looking at UCLA and USC, and I'm like exactly dead on UCLA's median scores from last admissions cycle: 167 median, 3.72 GPA. In that case, I'd like to say that my other factors can get me over the hump, but I suspect that my 3-year graduation, no full-time work experience will raise some eyebrows. This is a top-15 or so law school, after all. However, if I apply early decision............that might change some things. We'll see. Strangely, although USC is right behind UCLA and is a really worthy school as well, I feel much more confident that I can get into USC.

Time for the personal statement, boys.

Anyway, despite law school being the first thing I talk about in all these october postings, the one thing that I think about every day is still fantasy sports. And boy do we have a big day tommorrow: My first Fantasy NBA draft. Boy o boy, this is my fav time of year, boys and girls! I love getting great deals on players because they're undervalued, and 2 roto stars i'm targeting in 1st round: Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion. These 2 should be drafted #1 and #4 overall, instead they're going on average #4 and #8. That's unacceptable. People are drafting dwayne wade over dirk when wade is out for at least a month right at the beginning.


A note on Fan baseball, which recently concluded: Next year, do what you shoulda done this year: draft pitchers later. Not even johann santana, the only 1st-round pitcher, did his usual thing, and lotsa early-round pitchers went down like Zambrano, Oswalt. Pitchers are so very volatile and don't get that many starts to average out their stats, whereas hitters get 550 AB-600 AB every year and hit pretty much the same, at least most good hitters do. Take the sure things in the first few rounds, then there are SO many sleeper surprises later in drafts for pitchin that you'll just pluck'em up like nothing. This year there were sleepers like Tom Glavine, Josh Beckett, Tim Hudson, Tim Lincecum in the middle of the year, Oliver Perez to an extent........lotso lotso guys. So I'd even straight up draft 6 hitters right at the top of the draft and not even think about any pitching, then get a closer or something, wait a few rounds, pick up Aaron Harang, then wait till the end of the draft, pick up Francisco Liriano. Let's just hope he doesn't get hyped up too much over offseason and comes back in full form. Shhhhhh. Don't let this sleeper's name get too loud.


Fantasy football- We're in that stretch of the season when there are the most amount of bye teams- this week there's just 4, last week there were 6, next week they'll be six. Gotta make sure ur not losing games during these bye stretches just cuz u were lazy and didn't put in bye teams. That's just the essentials of fantasy football, guys. The playoffs are crazy, but each regular season game means a lot. Most leagues force u to make the top 1/3 of your league to make the playoffs, so you gotta fight for a winning record, at the least.

-Fantasize on, Robert Yan

No comments: