Monday, November 27, 2017

Peaceful (長閑 [のどか (nodoka)

I'm a "Hustle" kind of guy: if I was on the latest season of Survivor: Healers v hustlers v heroes, I'd be a hustler. I live a hustle and bustle kind of live by trying to squeeze every minute out of life and not waste any seconds of the day, to the point of upsetting people around me because I expect the same thing from them. One of the weaknesses of my approach is that i never seem satisfied with the current state, have to always be learning, working out, have to always find a different lane than the current one to get somewhere faster.

Which is why sometimes it's nice to see the exact opposite, peaceful people, animals, and things, basically all sorts of living beings being calm and at peace with their lives and showing that off to the world.

Mj and I have a friend who hosts parties and invites a couple with a baby boy, I'm not even sure of the child's name but he is the epitome of "peaceful," the way he sits and stares at his parents and other guests or eats his food docilely, he just seems so content with life and being in this world with us. His presence along allows MJ and I to be more at peace (it's the contagious effect of being at peace)

Walking dogs might seem like the opposite of peacefulness, but some dogs are able to strut around after doing their business and just take a stroll around the neighborhood. Mj and I were allowed the privilege of walking an elderly dog around the neighborhood and she just kept at a leisurely pace, not once requiring us to pull back in the leash, just sniffing and walking like she was meant to do in this world. No barking or violent activities, just slow movements. A very peaceful dog, which was emphasized by her lying down later on to take a nap. Most living things all look peaceful when sleeping, but sometimes a dog's sleeping posture makes me giggle and want to pet them.

Holidays, especially winter holidays where the weather slows things down and prohibits many activities, is a great chance for peaceful times. Sitting at home reading a book, taking a peaceful hike through the woods with spectacular views, these are all elements of a peaceful life, and something to be thankful for.

Happy thanksgiving! May peace be with you!

No comments: