Monday, November 13, 2017

Idol (アイドル)

I'm not talking about immunity idols (of which there are still plenty floating around on Survivor islands, I would still love to join!), I'm talking about entertainment idols, people who become stars due to their singing, rapping, dancing, etc. and attract a tight, passionate group of followers. There's a lot of things I like about Japanese and Korean culture, I've learned tons of unique ones as I've studied both languages the last several years, from samurai to temples to games to how they address elders to popular holidays that give the culture a flair I really appreciate, but one of the things I just can't appreciate or sympathize with is the obsession with idols.

Maybe it's because I recently went to a Japanese idol concert in West Hollywood at The Troubadour (a small room with a small stage with bar service trying to get as many people as they could to buy alcohol), an artist by the name of "Sky High," a stage name derived from his last name which roughly translated is "sky high." It was what could be expected, there was an opening act by another band that was equally as contrived and aroused my suspicions of lip-syncing, although I'm not an expert in that department by any means. Then when "Sky High came out with strobe lights shooting out, his female fans screamed and welcomed him with shrill shouts of ecstasy, like I imagine how Justin Bieber or Gavin DeGraw or any other famous male singer is introduced, except instead of thousands of fans at the Staples Center or Greek Theatre it was in front of a small circle of 20 diehards in West Hollywood (kind of sad really, but probably sadder that I paid to get into this show). He did a rap, had his backup dancers dance with him, played the piano, spoke to the audience in broken English during the breaks to catch his breath (he was dripping sweat towards the end from moving so much which I can empathize with but I imagine might DEMYSTIFY him for some of his female fans) and played an encore. Not bad really for a $32 show, but what I don't get is the attraction to become mega fans of this kind of show. I arrived an hour before the show time due to misunderstanding the start time (doors open means there's like an hour before they even begin, and that's just the opening act) where VIP guests were already waiting to get in to shake hands, take photos, and just be with SKY HI. They were so worried about getting to do this that they were rude to me in line for allegedly cutting them one space in line. Really? Aren't these idols all very similar? There wasn't anything particular special about SKY HI, maybe something about the lyrics that went too fast in Japanese for me to understand? (I can't even follow the lyrics for English songs most times)? He's really attractive? I feel like everything about Mr. SKY HI could be replaced by someone else pretty easily, from his very Asian hairstyle, his all-black outfit, his choreographed dance moves. Isn't there just another idol right around the corner? I guess we can all be replaced, sadly, who am I to say?

There's a very "otaku" culture in Japan and the same idea in other Asian cultures of being obsessive about certain things, and it can be very good for loyalty and devotion but dangerous in rejecting everything else and being so emotionally invested. That's why people get so upset about SMAP (Japanese equivalent of the Beatles) breaking up or some AKB48 (Akihabara 48, a Japanese girl idol group) member leaving. Really? What do these idols do for you, the fan? Sure they're saying, "I love you, LA!" but I'm sure they're saying "I love you New York, I love you Tokyo!" too, why the undying loyalty for mere entertainment? It's the same thing I guess with avid sports fans who live and die by their favorite sports team, they go to every game and feel like they're part of the team, even if the team loses all the time and doesn't care about its fans. At some point, don't you need some sort of reciprocation for all the love and energy you put into it? Music groups move on and break up all the time (sports teams lose and suck for years and years at a time or never win the championship) without blinking an eye, but fans have to stay with them forever? Seems like an unfair deal to me, I admire the devotion of those super fans and wish I am jealous of the idols who get all that loyal attention I'm out. ( I really only need one superfan, anyway! MJ!)

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: