Monday, December 5, 2011

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree



1.) I gotta tell you, few things excite me more than fantasy football or Halloween, but putting up the Christmas decorations today was one of them. Not just the outdoor lights, those are cool, but setting up the Christmas tree; that's awesome. We're one of those cheap families that has one fake Christmas tree in a box that recycles it every year; been using the same one for like 14 years, but it never fails (sorry live Christmas tree business). But putting up Christmas lights, that's a symbol of prosperity, that everything's okay, everything's happy, that for one more year we get to celebrate Christmas in our awesome house with our family. And that's one of the things everyone wishes for, not everybody gets. Gotta cherish it.

2.) First weekend of December might as well be called "Christmas Lights Set-up Weekend." Literally EVERY time I went outside this weekend, someone was putting up Christmas lights. That's a beautiful feeling, being in a neighborhood that celebrates Christmas and gets out. I've really been blessed to live in great neighborhoods ever since I moved out of the inner city of Chicago when I was 7; ever since then I've always lived in good communities; this last one pretty much takes the cake: every year, a block down there's a Haunted House that attracts legitimately like a thousand people on Halloween night. Crazy. And like 75% of houses in our neighborhood have some sort of holiday lights up. It's beginning to look a lot....like Christmas.


3.) For Christmas this year, I want one thing: to be called by Amazing Race. (Just sent in an audition tape, hope you liked it, casting team). If you don't want me on Amazing Race, put me on Amazing Race: China Rush. That's actually a cool show by the same producers, except in China, with mostly Chinese cast members, and a (much) lower grand prize of $400,000 RMB. Still, it's the Amazing Race.

4.) Christmas day will also be the day my fantasy league championship will be decided. Thanks to the early-season heroics of Calvin Johnson and the recent heroics of Victor Cruz, I've clinched the regular season title in my league and a first round bye. Scratch that, All I want for Christmas is to be called by Amazing Race AND a fantasy championship.

5.) Having guests over for Christmas this year; that's always welcome because you feel like you're reconnecting with someone, and it's really a Christmas tradition to invite guests, be merry.

6.) The NBA season starts on Christmas this year: Great timing wth the fantasy playoffs ending that day as well. Very thankful they ended the lockout, but mostly thankful for Fantasy Football: The most sophisticated fantasy game. Seriously. It's a tough game with a lot of risk/reward and statistical balances. It gets very mathematical.

7.) Christmas will also be around the time I make a momentous decision about my career and where it's going. Scratch that, I wish for Christmas that I choose the correct path for my career.

8.) I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVE Christmas carols. Guy at work also loves them; plays them so that the whole office can hear. I do not mind.

9.) See some snow for Christmas, maybe? Skiing? Something? Big Bear/Mammoth = great places in California. O, and the Grand Canyon gets snow too, so if you wanna see somethign cool....

10.) Wow I thought 12 things for Christmas would be easy. Preliminary gift ideas for my immediate family: 1.) Grandpa = mahjong set. 2.) sister = pitch in with my parents for an Ipad/Kindle Fire/something gadgety. 3.) Mom = Chinese DVD's, she loves that stuff. 4.) Dad = new tennis racket.

11.) I am not Catholic or Christian. I have gone to church before but do not profess faith in any established religion. I have my own religious beliefs. Privately, I've seen enough in my life, enough signs and little coincidences that indicate to me there's a higher power, or an order to this world that I cannot identify yet; so I definitely do not reject religion; I just don't necessarily believe that one religion is correct, although during the last few weeks have been really considering learning more about these religions, etc (and I'm not just saying that because of Tim Tebow). Anyway, I think Christmas is a holiday almost anybody can celebrate and get into the mood for; you don't have to be strictly about that religion; it's more of a cheerful/fun holiday than a religious holiday, in my opinion.

12.) I've always wanted to be a shopping mall Santa Clause. Maybe just for a day. You're basically a rock star for the kids and get to dress up in a funny costume and have a story for the rest of your life. Gotta be pretty cool.


Merry Christmas (in 3 weeks),

Robert Yan

No comments: