Sunday, March 6, 2011

This too shall pass


“This too shall pass.” -- Persian poet
One of those phrases I always thought was kind of annoying, like “I could care less” or “We’ll just have to wait and see.” However, the more I live life, the more I find this “This too will pass” is an important life lesson that can make life more enjoyable (TREMENDOUS healing effects).

You ever wake up one day and you just don’t feel right, don’t feel yourself? You go about your day, but you feel a little sad? You might be suffering a case of what is commonly known by me as… “being in the doldrums.”

Being in the doldrums stinks. It hits out of nowhere, it stays with you for hours if not days, and really puts a damper on the way you live life, etc. The worst part is, you usually don’t even know what causes the doldrums: did you have too many sweets the day before and now you’re crashing? Something traumatic in your life happened? (those cases usually aren’t being in doldrums, that’s major depression, you should see a doctor). Feeling lonely with no friends? What is it?

A lot of times being in the doldrums is triggered by sense of mortality, death……I’ve had sporadic moments when I channel the same thought pattern in my head: the sense of vulnerability of impending death: We all know it’s coming, it’s inevitable: one day we will all pass away, and we aren’t coming back (at least not in our bodily form…..I don’t want to get into religious debates, so for the sake of argument just go with me, whatever religion you follow….). And forever is a long, long time….it’s almost unfathomable……..How did we survive before we were born? What was happening? Whatever occurred? And what will I do when I pass away? I can’t do anything about it; so little is under my control; I will become insignificant and forgotten………ugh, just writing this gets me a little down…..but I record this for the benefit of readers and my future self, that it could be a possible reason…The natural prophylactic for this is to NOT THINK ABOUT IT! Brush it aside, live your life, and remind yourself you’re still very fully alive…..because of you keep thinking about your death, it’ll come faster than you think (Wow, I almost sound like a philosopher right there).

Moodiness is natural, I think; It’s like gravity: what goes up must come down. For every feeling of elation, joy, and happiness, there has to be at least a bit of a letdown, somewhere were there’s a valley, a doldrums if you will, where the body takes a break, the happiness hormones go to recess, and the mild depressive hormones have a party. The good news is, though, that once you get out of the doldrums, you become a lot happier. The trick is to get out of the doldrums faster and not let the doldrums get you down. Here are some tidbits I’ve gathered:

1. sometimes you can be aware that you’re in a rut: for no reason at all, you’re not happy. Identifying it is half the battle. Once you know it, select some of these methods:
2. do something that always makes you happy. (playing video games, watching soap operas, picking up after your dog- not my idea of fun but to each their own, mini-golf, bubble bath, whatever)
3. take a nap……just zonking out for 20 minutes, I’ve found, does wonders for changing the way you think and how your body operates.
4. Do something with someone you like/love. This may not be the time to hang out with your buddies, where you’re at risk of getting razzed and being the victim of zingers (i.e., witty insults that touch on a personality trait, flaw)……you probably should be socially interactive, preferably with someone you respect and that respects you.
5. Stringent exercise: taking your mind off of it. Playing tennis, playing basketball….sometimes the moodiness just gets sweated off….either that or adrenaline’s a natural cure for depression.

Anyway, hope that works. It has for me….sometimes.

And…….remember, when you’re in the dumpiest of dumps, the lowliest of lows, the doldrumest of the doldrums, that THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!! ( o geez, I’ve gonna become one of those catchphrase people that everyone hates. Yikes).

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: