Sunday, March 20, 2011

NCAA March Madness


List of reasons why I love March Madness (so many reasons)


1. Single-game elimination style: Win or go home. That's it. (Contrast 7-game series in the NBA, NHL)

2. It's Basketball (lots of action, lots of movement, lots of strategy, lots of athleticism)

3. Weird College names (Winthrop, Morehead State, Iona, etc., etc., etc.)

4. Barack Obama does a bracket........awesome

5. I usually have a stake in it (long-time Illinois fan, now a USC fan as well)

6. Hype: Yes, I get caught up in the Selection Show and all that. Just call it the sports fan's soap opera: you know you don't need to watch it cuz you'll find out what happened later, but it's so good anyway.

7. Games are just 2 hours: Not the 3+ hours NFL games take, could be half of what a baseball game is.

8. You know players are trying (HARD).......as opposed to some NBA regular season games. Nobody's' mailing it in.

9. Filling out a bracket could be one of the most addictive things I do.

10. Thursday- Sunday weekend in mid-March becomes one of the best weekends of the year.

11. Upsets.......Checking the Vegas odds before games this year has given me an appreciation of how big upsets are. 6-point underdogs, 7.5-point underdogs are NOT supposed to win that often.......but over the course of a 64-team ( I guess, now, 68-team) tournament, there are plenty of upsets.


Watching the Washington - UNC game right now on a random Sunday morning and it's just scintillating basketball......perfect example of what's great about the tournament. Lead changes, compelling stories, great coaches (Romar + Williams), future NBA players (Harrison Barnes, Isiah Thomas), GREAT competition. And that's probably my NUMBER 1, NUMBER 1 reason.....competition. I live on it. I thrive on it. And sometimes I really enjoy watching other people do it.


Fantasize on,


Robert Yan

No comments: