Sunday, February 28, 2010

Black History Month

My computer's been acting up the past few days and I have been unable to access some of my favorite things, one of them being this blog. No fear, once I get back in the flow there's no stopping me.

Time capsule to look back on of what happened in the whole wide world (and possibly a bit of the Sauce's World) sprinkled in there as well....

1.) Georgian luger dies on the test track at the Vancouver Olympics at the age of 21, signaling a somber start to the Olympics. U.S. goes on to the medal count lead at 36, but doesn't have as many golds as Canada's 13, which might add another 1 today in the highly-anticipated US v. Canada Men's Hockey final.
I don't even like hockey, but the game they played a week ago was exhilarating with Canada furiously rallying at the end but coming up short. This one should be epic.

2.) Stock market up and down on mixed economic news. So here's what I've gathered from this month's action: Oil prices are stubbornly staying still but we're gonna get higher gas prices soon this summer; unemployment is still down; Bernanke's holding the economy together by saying "we're not ready to raise interest rates yet." Greece's currency has a big impact on the global economy and can ignite huge rallies on the NYSE; investors are still spooked about a possible correction; solid earnings and balance sheets aren't yet enough to trump the predominant economic feeling. And it looks like we're gonna have an up-and-down 2010. Which is fine by me if 2011 gets off to a rip-roaring start.

3.) Survivor recruits most of its contestants nowadays. Alas, the sad state of things is that most people who send in applications for Survivor don't make it; it's the people who know people who get it, or people who meet a certain criteria like being a charming Southern belle, or just people looking hot walking on the streets of Santa Monica. Add that to the list of problems that Survivor has (see my post in October).

4.) It's not good to live in Midwest/ East Coast: Blizzards everywhere in February hitting major cities in Ohio, New York, Washington, D.C., almong others, forcing school shutdowns, road closures, and even Congressional pauses. I'm sure that people over there are proclaiming that Global warming is a myth. In friendly L.A., January and Feb. have been some of the rainiest in history, umbrellas have become standard protocol for people, and it's further clustered L.A. traffic. Sigh.

5.) Indianapolis Colts do NOT win Super Bowl 44: Every fiber of my being was lying to me as the Saints came from a 10-0 lead down stemming from an "ambitious" onside kick to start the second half, and the rest is history. Drew Brees, enjoy yourself. Pierre Thomas, represent (Illinois grad).

6.) "The Sauce" waiting on decisions on several places for the fall after finally settling on what he's gonna do this summer. Applied to take CBEST, test that certifies one for becoming a substitute teacher, applied to be an RA in my final year of law school, and thinking about externing with a federal court judge somewhere in L.A. area during fall semester --> leading to possible law clerk position after law school. Giving myself more options. And finally, waiting to hear from "the Big Life-Changing Kahunas" = (hint: Big Brother/ Survivor) that could literally change my life......low chance of success, big reward if actually occurs.....Again, let me repeat myself, have your people call my people, guys!

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: