Friday, December 14, 2007

Fantasy playoff time

Wow-


I'm pumped. It's fantasy football playoff week. It's only week 15 in the NFL, and most teams still have 3 more games to go, but for fantasy managers, it all comes down to this. Last-minute lineup decisions, updates on injuries to key players, swapping guys in and out, stud waiver acquisitions, it's all come down to this. One week, do or die, win or go home, it's not, " O if i win it'll be great but even if i lose i'll still be 6-5." No, it's not like that anymore. This is game time. The season ENDS for you if you don't pick it up ( or at least ur players don't). Every single game is huge. You gotta watch out for who ur opponents are playing and root against them heavily. And in the 4th quarter, when hope is fading fast, u look like ur gonna be out.................LaDanian Tomlinson will come through with 100 yds and 2 TD's, just in that 4th quarter.

Or at least that's what happened last year for me. Last year's playoffs was really exciting for me cuz i started the season 0-4, then 1-5, basically dead in a 14-game season for fantasy, but thanks to L.T. and crew I rallied back, made the last seed in the playoffs, and beat the #1 team in week 15 of the playoffs thanks to like a sick, 77-yard TD run by L.T. or something like that. It was exhilirating. While he was running, i could feel in his steps the uplifting of my championship hopes, the toll of the season fading away as i passed into fantasy football nirvana, knowing that I would be moving to immortality.........at least, immortality for that season.

This season's a little different. No L.T. for me in this playoff season, and out of my 3 leagues i actually finished 10th out of 10 in one of them ( NOT good), but i got the #3 seed in both of the other leagues, so expecting big things. I dunno why but my record in fantasy playoff seasons has been extremely good ever since i started playing in '03: Check my yahoo! profile, nobrainer765. I dunno if it's luck or extreme planning or a combo of both, but i've been extremely clutch when i've needed it to be.

I'm gonna need a lotta luck and a lotta good performances this week, as both of my teams play teams that have randy moss on their roster, and he's facing the jets at home when bill belichek wants to just kill the jets by running up tthe score on them. Good news is, there's gonna be snow, so hopefully the weather becomes the focal point of the game and not the WR w/ the number 81.

My roommates gave me an Antonio Gates jersey, #85, for christmas. It was actually really cool cuz I hadn't expected it, and it's really my first actual jersey in my life. That's what I get for yelling, "GATES, baby" around the apartment a lot, I guess. Well, the jersey's getting put to good use on sunday when the chargers host detroit. I need him to get a big day.

It's interesting to see what players teams on playoff teams in fantasy have, and many times there's always a player that's owned universally by teams that did well. Last year anyone who had L.T. i bet made the playoffs, the year before that probably Shaun Alexander ( I rode him hard), and the year before that i'm thinking Peyton Manning. They all had career years not just for themselves but for their respective fantasy owners. For me, I had L.T. and alexander in multiple leagues ( thankfully, I admit i got kinda lucky being able to own them), but this year I do not have that luxury. This year's big stud is probably either Adrian Peterson ( at least for the 2nd half of the season) and definitely tom brady. This guy is gonna break the single-season TD record maybe this sunday, and his fantasy owners are enjoying the ride. In both of my leagues the teams that have tom brady are both #1 for the regular season, so that's saying something.

However, that's the beauty of the playoffs. That player could have had an awesome regular season, game after game of triple digit yards and multiple TD's, but one bad game and ur fantasy season is over. It's ONE game. Just like the real NFL, the best teams don't always win, and part of the reason is cuz it's ONE game. A lot of fluky things can happen in that one game. Billy Volek can have 5 TD's and close to 500 yds in a spot start in week 15. Donald Driver can have a monster 162 yd, 1 TD game. Peyton Manning can have a mediocore 1 TD, 250 yd game and take u out of the playoffs. You never kno, so you better keep watching. Cuz if you blink, u'll miss it.

Fantasize on,
Robert Yan

No comments: