Monday, August 5, 2024

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

 Contrary to popular belief, the popular phrase "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" is not from the Bible, it's from a 1697 play by William Congreve called the Mourning Bride. Soemtimes phrases are timeless and created to fit nicely into the English lexicon; they just capture the idea so smoothly. 

I realized recently I know all these trivia facts and general knowledge about the world, but I really don't know how a woman thinks, I've never seen the world like a woman would. Not to generalize all women into one type or anything, so many women behave so differently, but I would have liked a basic introduction and general overview of the female psychology and mind. As a child I grew up with a younger sister and a very involved mother, but I wouldn't say I was necessarily surrounded by women in my life; in fact I pretty much steered clear of any meaningful contact with girls my age, not really even being friends with any of them much less having any relationships. It was all just all dudes, all the time. (Which is hard enough if you ask me for teenage kids like me who tend to be unpopular to survive in social hierachies). Maybe I should have watched more movies about the female mindset than just the overly reductionist "What Women Want" or read more books like "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" (ironically written by a male authro), or more books with a female heroine or protagonist like "My Antonia" or "Little Women," "Anne of Green Gables" or even "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (written by a man, haha) instead of all male authors like Tom Clancy or Shakespeare or Dickens; real interaction with someone who could explain it better would have been extremely helpful too. Any older sister would have been very, very helpful to understand all the benefits that men have and don't have to deal with that women do. Hormones, emotions, so many body parts that need constant adjusting, need to look nice, need to discuss feelings and emotional attachment. I missed all of those when I was at chess club with all-male friends or at poker night with male buddies. As one of MJ's friends put it so elegantly, "woman are always thinking about the relationship, but the man is just thinking about lunch." 

Recently, I've suffered for my lack of understanding of the female mindset. You would think I would have learned by now after being married for 7 years, in a relationship for 8, but maybe being a man just means never truly understanding how a woman feels. I can easily brush off something that happened 10 minutes ago and move on to something else pretty quickly, our DNA is built differently. 

Sadly, I realize the TV shows and movies I watch also influence my man-centric thinking: just recently watched Jake Gyllenhall movie called "Guy Ritche's The Covenant" about US army in Afghanistan; total guy movie full of guns, shooting, heroism. No female presence in the entire movie, barely any woman in the movie. The Amazon.com TV show I'm into now, The Boys, is male-dominated: it's right there in the title. The show is kind of about men ruining the world, like Homelander the evil superhero manipulating the world with his superpowers. I just gravitate to these shows that have men in them, I guess that's what our society drives us towards. Obviously more female heroines in today's media, but I was ingrained as a kid to gravitate towards males. House of Dragon: essentially the story about 2 strong female characters turning into a family drama, I don't really like it as much as Game of Thrones, which was much more male-dominated. Do I have a male bias? Probably, so sometimes I do need to put on different glasses and look through a more feminine lens and think like they do. 

No comments: