Thursday, August 1, 2024

Breaking ( 霹雳舞, ブレイクダンス, 브레이크 댄스)

 Speaking of interesting things about the Olympics, one of the newest sports to be added to the Olympics this summer is called "breaking," also called "b-boying" or "b-girling." I respect breakdancers and all they do and ability to keep a rhythm and dance in ways I can never do on the dance floor (I always just embarrass myself at weddings), but what really qualifies as an Olympic sport anymore? More importantly, why has dodgeball not become an Olympic sport yet? Dodgeball at least has balls, keeping score, teams facing off head to head against each other..... what is b-boying? The others I've seen that are pretty banansas are "artistic swimming" (I get competitive swimming and racing to see who's faster, but I didn't even know swimming could be artistic). The amazing thing to me is that there are really good people who are masters at this, whom we never hear of except for this one event every 4 years. That could be dodgeball! I remember break dancing was a thing that was big among my junior in 8th grade, it was just "cool" that everyone would do, and one girl kept asking me every time I message her on AIM (AOL was big back then and instant messaging seemed like the cutting edge technology, which it kinda is still, the precursor to texting which is the only way people communicate nowadays) if I "learned how to break yet." I'm pretty sure she was joking, or saying it in a "no way this guy does that" kind of way because I was nerdy, unathletic, overweight, wore glasses, and definitely wouldn't be the kind of guy who did "breaking," but maybe I should have insisted on signing up. Maybe I'd be an Olympic champion by now. 


Also at the Olympics: cool Korean shooter Yeji Kim is lighting up the Internet, exuding "main character energy." Pretty easy way to look good in front of a camera: shoot something. Really stylish. 


Today I saw it.....very depressing signs around the local university around my house while on my jog: Welcome Class of 2028! I get why colleges put those signs up, to welcome the freshmen and foster a sense of community and belonging at the university, but boy oh boy does it make people out of college and have been for a long time feel old. I remember in 2010 I was running around USC and saw signs saying "Welcome class of 2014!" and thought, boy that's a long time away. or was it in 2014 seeing signs for Class of 2018? Whatever it was, that time has long passed by. Cruel, Cruel summer. (Banarama song, and Taylor Swift song). I guess it is already August now, and college kids are moving back in for college, but I wasn't ready. 

Speaking of songs, I've been watching old re-runs of trivia shows now that Jeopardy's most recent season is over (just a 6-week hiatus, but still, feeling lost without it) and watching "Win Ben Stein's Money." Cool show, Jimmy Kimmel was the host for most of it before he went onto bigger and better things. The set of questions for the late 1990's and 2000 was very differnet than what it is now, but sometimes it still makes me happy to get the history questions right, or remember. The other show right in the same time period is Jeff Probst (still hosting Survivor seasons now!) hosting Rock and Roll Jeopardy, about just popular music of the 60's - 90's. There's a LOT I don't know. Reminds me of a whole world of music and facts that I've missed out on in life, kind of like breakdancing. The cool thing about band trivia is the name of the bands are pretty entertaining as well as their origins. Mister Mister was from the band members referring to each other sarcastically like in a rival band's album, Twisted Sister, Iron Maiden came from the name of a torture device, etc. It's all pretty cool stuff. 

No comments: