Monday, September 25, 2017

Backpack (リュックサック)

In Japan, they call a kids' backpack that they wear to school a "ryukkusakku," probably derived from the English name "rucksack," which is a word in English but not used very commonly. 

Backpacking is a very common method of travel, the "economy" style if you well, without much luggage and that many clothes at all, perfect for walking long distances at a time and going from different lodging to lodging, maybe not even having a set place to stay at all. Very common for hiking in the countryside, mountains, rural areas, and good for people who stay at youth hostels. I personally get a kick out of backpacking, the romantic notion of exploring a city or country with no set plan and going from one place to the next without having to stop at for hotels, etc., but also the notion that you're alone in the world, away from the workplace, the hustle and bustle, the daily routine and obligations, just you by yourself and your shoes and clothes........and your backpack. In many ways, the backpack is a symbol of freedom, of allowing a person to get on the road and be free (and not be burdened by 3 huge suitcases and dragging them to the hotel). When you're all alone in the world, late at night and you have nothing else to hold onto, at least you have your backpack. When I've sat for awhile and am going on to the next place, the first thing I look for to make sure I have is my backpack: I can physically feel it on my shoulders. I've forgotten a lot of stuff during my many trips around the world: money, umbrellas, keys, etc., but never my backpack :it's always placed neatly on my shoulders. 

I've always pondered when walking around different countries that my backpack has the best position: he gets to ride for free in the airplane, (not like checked luggage), he gets the most important assignments like holding food, water, personal items, money, etc, and it gets a free ride around the world on my back. It does no work but sees everything! It's actually a pretty mutually beneficial relationship- the backpack isn't too imposing or overly heavy, it fits into some tight spaces, and it's built to fit securely on your back without falling off. 

MJ is now my backpack. She has a very comfy seat because she rides with me and gets to come with me on romantic and often glorious vacations all over the world, but she also provides support in terms of holding travel documents, tickets, passport, etc. When I now feel alone in the world on vacation and go on an adventure, I can share it with MJ, and instead of just getting the cold unresponsive reply back like the fabric of a backpack, MJ can give human responses and share in the experience; she's much better than a backpack, but with that same feeling of assurance and companionship that goes with traveling together to different ends of the world, knowing that she'll always be there. Just like I won't forget my backpack because it's strapped around my body, I won't forget MJ because she's permanently attached to my hand.....she feels like an extension of my body now. 

On our most recent trip to Taiwan and  Korea, MJ was just what I needed as a travel companion and more: Not only did she go wherever I directed her, she act as the GPS too in Korea, knowing everything about her hometown Busan and even many parts of Seoul. 


Fantasize on, 

Robert Yan 

No comments: