Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Importance of Tradition


The spelling bee is only 2 weeks away! Orthographers, unite!

The World Cup 2014 is only 4 weeks away! Footballers, unite!

The Amazing Race 25 Finale is this Sunday!

The Survivor 28 Finale is Wednesday!

I have recently been hooked AGAIN onto Amazing Race and Survivor (I started watching both shows in 2003) and can’t believe they’re STILL both on. And they still produce at near-elite levels, although both clearly are past their prime. For Amazing Race, that was the 10 or 11 seasons where there were 2 races a season and all-star seasons lined up and powerhouse teams and drama like Rob and Amber, The Globetrotters, etc. whereas now they resort to recycling a lot of these done-before teams to try to rekindle some of that old flame, and Survivor does the same…….the best season in my opinion and should be consensus was Survivors Heroes v. Villains, a season that truly came together in terms of great characters (Rob v. Russell), great gameplay (especially on the Villains’ side) and intense outcomes. Absolutely riveting TV that gets evoked occasionally in spurts in the current shows, but not to the degree of those times. Why do I still watch, though? The answer partly is because I still like these competition shows (not the drama part of it, CBS, c’mon!) where normal people compete against others, but a big part of it is……..

Tradition.  As I get excited about all of these repeating events, I find myself succumbing to tradition…..something that’s reliable, the tried and true, and realize that I have a penchant for relying on tradition, and things that I can trust. Tradition is important, like being excited about Christmas and getting ready for fireworks on Fourth of July, tradition allows one something to look forward to, some continuity in one’s life. It’s the same reason why companies use the same suppliers over and over again, or why I eat tuna sandwiches over and over again……..I know what it does for me, and I am satisfied with it.Especially in cases of the spelling bee that come only once a year, I like to inundate myself with it for that day, and then log it away in the back of my mind. If life is a marathon, every year would be a cycle or a lap, where you pass the same roadsigns and scenery each time you pass. Each time you see something you notice something different about it, look at it a different way, or form a new opinion about it. And that’s what’s exciting about these events. You know what you’re gonna get, but there might be a bit of a twist. It also preserves some order in one’s life, like, “OK I’ve made it to Memorial Weekend and the Spelling Bee. What do I need to accomplish for the rest of the year?”

One thing I’ve gleaned from watching YEARS (even a decade now!) of Survivor/Amazing Race: the gameplay towards the end can actually get a little worse, especially in Survivor. By Day 39/40/41 or whatever it is on Survivor, these guys get hangry (angry because you’re hungry) and belligerent with each other and just generally can’t stand each other, as well as possibly getting tired of being there and ready to go home. Whatever the case, it seems to lead to poor decisions in the endgame and allows for only the most steadfast and iron-willed of players to separate towards the end (as well as go on immunity runs). This was observed last night by Jeff Probst – “Tony could just be losing his mind out there!” Very possible indeed. On the Amazing Race, I find that boneheaded driving directions and not reading the clue itself actually occurs MORE towards the end of races than towards the beginning when everyone’s still excited and motivated, a product of most likely travel fatigue, sleep deprivation, and irritation. Good thing to remember if I ever………EVER get on reality TV.

In fantasy baseball, I ALWAYS get streaming pitchers like Bronson Arroyo, Mark Buehrle, and Joe Saudners. These guys have been there for me, one knows what they are, and once in a while they’ll give you something different, like a  10-K game.

 Fantasize on,
 
Robert Yan

 

No comments: