Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Life Rewind




Introducing the most cutting edge innovation of this century, the modern-day Facebook: it’s Life Rewind! (still working on the name, could be Your Life Rewind, or just “Rewind.” (lose the “the”- Social Network) Just like NFL Rewind, there should be a Life Rewind for every person, whether it be reliving the best day of your life, the best game you ever played in high school, the first time you brought a puppy back home, the week-long international trip……Your Life Rewind would have these files stored away and for you to access at any time. Sure, you could videotape your birthday party, or take pictures, but those are nothing compared to the extensive 24-hour, non-stop footage of Life Rewind. Extensive privacy issues are still being navigated and no word if this kind of invention has already been patented, but it would be great to have!
I always think back to some of my greatest memories and wish I could go back and experience them again, especially recently with some of my dodgeball games. The pure exhilaration and joy of doing well in dodgeball is great in the moment, but because of that adrenaline I can’t really remember the exact sequence of everything that happens and sometimes don’t even know what happened, it happened so quick. That’s where an instant replay of things happening in my life would come so in handy- it’d be watching the movie of my life over and over again! I could do that! Plus, like the coaches’ tape in NFL Rewind, you could go back to the games you played and point out specific flaws in your game and try to correct them…….that would be worth it in itself.
I could also “bookmark” certain times when I’m unsure of something and want to go back to that moment to analyze my thought process at the time, especially if in retrospect it was a WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!! kind of moment. With Life Rewind, I could go back and see what I was doing when I drafted Joey Votto for an outrageous $59 at last year’s draft- had I been having a bad day, was I in a state of depression??? WHY????? But also relive the glorious moments when I added Matt Carpenter, Daniel Murphy, and Alfonso Soriano off the waiver wire for one dollar. The joy, the happiness! There’s certainly also times when the bookmark could be abused like when taking a test and then selling the footage of the test to someone later, but that can be hashed out.
In all seriousness, I think this is an idea that might actually come to fruition in an altered form. People love taking selfies (see Oscar 2014 Ellen DeGeneris selfie) and people can be more narcissistic about media in this new century. Inevitably something where you can view everything you’ve every done should become available…..it’s a matter of how, not when.

Fantasize on,


Robert Yan 

No comments: