Thursday, January 9, 2014

The $350 Dodgeball Game, or "I hate LA"


Today highlighted one of the reasons I might move out of LA.
In LA, one has to drive everywhere. Traffic is bad everywhere around LA, including the Unholy triangle of the 101, 405, and the 10. That’s been well Documented. Not only is traffic bad, but the bigger problem, in my opinion, is parking. That car’s gotta go somewhere.

At some point, the Los Angeles Police Department and the cities of Hollywood, Los Angeles, and Beverly Hills decided to coordinate their efforts in collecting as much money as possible, setting up random areas where there is no parking and tow-away zones to get the most bang out of their buck. O, and towing companies are part of the Los Angeles transportation cartel.

Today, I went to the Hollywood YMC to attend open gym dodgeball. I had parked there last Thursday, no problem, plenty of parking. This week, however, there were a lot of cars there, to the point of no meter parking spots. Not a big deal, this is LA, gotta find a way. I found a strip of meters that were just ending (Los Angeles parking ends at 8PM, so meters are fair game). So I decided to park. I even read the signs. But apparently I missed one sign that stated that there was no parking on nights from Wednesday to Saturday. An hour later, I get back to my car, and my car is gone. The worst feeling in the world, in my opinion. Saiaku. = the worst.
Now, obviously I am to blame for not reading the sign, but trust me, there were a lot of signs in that area, coupled with the fact that block had lots of meters that looked exactly the same that WEREN’t in the tow zone. A reasonable person who’s had a long day and travels a lot might be allowed to make a mistake. $60? $70? That’s an expensive lesson, but I can live with that. But the towing impounding process is the $70 PLUS $280 for the towing company. $350. That’s a lot of money for ANYBODY, I don’t care who it is, but especially people who take cars into Hollywood (not rich people who use limousines, private drivers, etc.) It’s not that I shouldn’t be punished for the infraction, it’s the severity of the punishment and the excessive payment: I mean what did the towing company have to do? Get a call to tow someone, have the driver go get it, and then release it to me about an hour later? That’s a pretty easy way to make $280 in an hour, and can anyone explain why towing companies are always like a mile or two away from the actualy parking location? I mean there were towing companies right next to the meters. Why do I have to go halfway across town to get my car? Another subsidy to the taxi companies? Tondemonai. とんでもな= totally unreasonable.
As you might imagine this is not my first trip to the rodeo, or first trip to the impound lot. I’ve been towed TWICE in a calendar year now, with 2 different cars. This would not happen in a city where I just take the subway. I was never towed in Chicago, although to be fair small sample size. I really think L.A. County purposely puts these spots up to collect money from people. They KNOW people are going to stumble across.
Another racket: Do not park on the city streets overnight in San Gabriel. ANYWHERE in San Gabriel. Even though there are no signs. I looked everywhere for a sign last week parking overnight in San Gabriel; there were none. When I got back, there was a nice old ticket there. If I am a person coming from another city to visit San Gabriel for the first time, how am I supposed to know that rule? Totally unreasonable.


Sigh. Quick note on the NFL games this weekend: I think the betting trends have swung a little too much to the underdogs. In Seattle and Denver you got absolutely the 2 best teams in the league this year who have had 2 weeks to rest themselves and prepare for teams they’ve already beaten this season, waiting AT HOME in awesome home environments. I would say take Seattle and Denver point spread (Seattle only -7.5 at home) and hope New England is the big favorite that gets upset this week. Many are saying that SF and Carolina is a toss-up game (currently San Fran -1 favorite), but just from watching Carolina they are better than 4 points worse than the Niners (with 3 points for home field).

Fantasize on, 

Robert Yan  

No comments: