Sunday, May 13, 2012

Weddings

       

  Went to my second ever wedding today: the brother of one of my good friends' wedding. Conicidentally on mother's day and on the bride's birthday. Seems...very fitting in that one of the main things mothers want for their children....is to get married, so in some sense it's actually the best Mother's Day gift a child could give to a mother. Different emotions about this wedding, but one particular thought came out of it: One day I'd like my own wedding. Looks like a lot of work, looks like a lot of planning, a lot of money involved, but ultimately it signals one undeniable fact: You're married. You found the person you've been looking for all your life to share your life with, and that person has decided that Yes, they'd like to spend the rest of their life with you. Granted, you can say all you want about arranged marriages, marriages for power, political marriages, etc., etc., but marriage still signifies the bringing together of two people who (more or less) love each other (notice I stated "people," not "a man and a woman," which should be an indication of where I stand on gay marriage.) Wedding is also a milestone for a person: growing from a young child to an adolescent to going away to college (or whatever you choose to do after high school) to becoming an adult and working and then finally finding your spouse: a fulfillment of life's cycle. I want that. A couple years ago it would have seemed cliche and unoriginal to do that, but at this point in my life (I'm "newly" 25)



          I'm ready to make a commitment. It's not my parents prodding me whether I've found a girlfriend yet, it's not the fact that several of my friends are in long-term relationships and may be getting married in the near future (if not already married), but I'm ready to make a long-term commitment with someone, to experience one of the best things in life: loving someone. I'm not gonna rush it, I'm not gonna force it, and I'm certainly not gonna force someone else into it, but somewhere, sometime, there's a Mrs. Yan (Omg I cannot believe I am writing this in my past-midnight post-wedding haze which will surely be used against me at some point) out there that I will find, and we'll be happy together. And we'll have a wedding. On Mother's Day. O and I got killed 9-1 in fantasy baseball this week. Bleh.



 Fantasize on, Robert Yan

No comments: