Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Buy Chipotle Stock


The title says it all. I did it yesterday; I only wish I had more money. This stock is like a dot-com company in the summer of 1999: unstoppable. It's doubled its value in this year alone. It's quadrupled since Fall 2008. Its business concept is so simple too; I shoulda already become a millionaire.
Reasons why this company is the best of its era:

1. Good food: Chipotle has the same ingredients for everyone, so you know what you're gonna get, the menu never really changes, but people keep coming back.......over and over again. It's got one of the key maxims of any restaurant business: have good food.

2. Stable price: it raised its price recently a bit for all its products, but in general it stays the same: I know I'll be spending $6.42 on a chicken burrito or $6.69 on any other burrito. And given the fact that it's delicious and fills me up, I can't complain.

3. Attracts all demographics: Usually when you go to a McDonald's or a steakhouse you know what type of people are gonna be there: it's determined mostly by socioeconomic conditions, a lot by the ability to pay. Not Chipotle. I've stood in line with all sorts of people: students, businesspeople, mothers, athletes, doctors, kids, homsexuals, etc., etc., etc. Whenever you're feeling hungry and want something convenient + reasonably priced, you go to Chipotle. Bottom line.

4. The accepted norm for fast food: Whenever my friends/ colleagues are deciding on somewhere to go out and eat, we have a divergence of tastes: Chinese, Mexican, McDonald's, pizza, burger, etc., and sometimes one person isn't feeling Chinese, or McDonald's is rejected because someone just doesn't want all the fat. I've never really heard anyone object to Chipotle......it's always the default option, it's accepted by everyone.......that's MONEY in the restaurant business, when people can come to agreement on the product. That's the cash register ringing over and over again.

5. I don't see anyone really taking down Chipotle for awhile. It's just built such a tremendous brand within the last few years, its business model is almost impeccable. It's gonna really take serious effort by some new company to take away its customers, because I got news for all existing restaurant chains: You ain't taking Chipotle down.

So pardon me for only engaging in an "eye test" of this company, but Chipotle gets an overwhelming, resounding, earth-shattering "Buy buy buy" from the Guru. I buy Chipotle every day, my friends all buy it, pretty much everyone I know buys it. And now I've bought the stock. So should you.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: