Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Note writing

A man who dares waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." -- Charles Darwin.

Geez, Charles, setting some high standards there, are we? Understandably, though, the guy was a machine. Probably why he was so successful.

Sometimes, I wish I had the ability not to waste time, and actually this year I've been pretty good about it, EXCEPT this week (spring break) and this whole note-writing process. Today was Day 1 of the note-writing process and I've already worn myself out. The note, for those who don't know, is the law-school equivalent of a coming-of-age tale that most law students have to endure in their 2nd year, a mid-law school barrier sent to you between the horrors of 1L year and the blitzkreig that is bar preparation after 3rd year. Cuz let's face it, the 2 years between 1L and graduation are not that hard, academia-wise. You go to your law school classes, which are fairly substantive courses, but by no means are they as much of a grind like 1L year because a.) you're used to law school now, b.) grades don't matter as much, and c.) you take less of a courseload.

But this note is a different thing altogether. Of all the single endeavors I've done during law school, this one has been the most tedious. It's worse than the legal writing papers (done mostly over the course of 12 hours on Sundays), work applications (print out many copies of my resume and alter my cover letter a bit for each place I apply to) or even the write-on at the end of last year (a one-week affair right after the first semester of law school that was bad timing). At least the write-on had research already done and a solid prompt (not to mention a lower 10-page limit). The note is just a different process altogether because from the start, there was very little guidance. You pick out a topic from the vast ocean that is legal topics in the world and write about SOMETHING, ANYTHING that hasn't been written about. Which seemed OK until I realized I have no deep understanding about legal understanding. Law school is more geared towards teaching breadth of knowledge, not depth of knowledge, and a minimum 35-page essay about one single topic is just not do-able without further research. It's really like asking me to build a computer out of scratch and make it the best I can be. I know what a computer looks like, I know all the different things that go into a computer, but what's the method to get there? Ihave no idea. And THAT's what's been so hard about the write-on, not knowing the method and finding your own way. Pretty much a microcosm, too, of law school: a rite of passage that requires you to find your own way.

And now I've spent 20 of my precious minutes of spring break RANTING about the write-on after spending 7 hours during the day WRITING the write-on. It's been a rough day.

On the bright side, I predicted that the NIT opening first-round game between Jacksonville St. and Arizona St. would have a total of more than 129 points! Yay! I'm a genius! Ha, I'm a mess.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: