Saturday, July 18, 2009

Big Brother........I'm Baaaaacccckkkk!!!!!!!!!

So a couple posts ago I gave you 10 traditional things to do during the summer and forgot a crucial element: Watching Big Brother!

For those of you who haven't been convinced by my constant references to it to watch, Big Brother is a reality TV show hosted by Julie Chen (ick) that has aired every summer since 2000, when the revolutionary concept of a show that spied on houseguests 24/7 was introduced. For those of you savvy w/ counting, that's one too many seasons for years. Well, last year BB tried to expand and added a second season in the winter, but it just didn't work. Once a year for BB is just enough to keep it exciting every time it comes on, so I hope that's how it stays for a long time.

As I was finally turned 21 last summer, I applied for the show this year, and actually got an email in my inbox of which I was really excited, but all it said was for me to go to the casting call, which is open to everyone anyway, so it wasn't like an interview or anything or a step forward in the process, so I bailed. It was like a little jolt saying, "oo, they noticed me," but I realized it wasn't much. Although, now that BB is on again and once again I feel a desperate urge to be in the house and play the game, I regret not going through the whole process and trying my very hardest to get on the show. Urg. Especially since this year they actually had a brains clique where they accept semi-nerds like me!!!!! Hopefully next year they have an all-fantasysports-blogs team.

Later, I will talk about missing camp. BUT FIRST (classic Julie Chen transition as she turns to the side camera), my impressions on the houseguests so far:

Chima: Totally a diva, I find her really annoying and really poor at strategy in volunteering to be the pawn in week 1.... give her credit for coining the "Strong-Arm Alliance." Heh.
Prediction: Coasts along cuz her alliance is in power now, but evicted around week 7.

Natalie: What annoys me about her: 1. Tells everyone she has never lied to anyone in the house. 2. Lied to everyone in the house on day 1 when she said she was 18. 3. She's on the athletes team and pretended she wasn't an athlete. 4. Goes around trying to find trouble. 5. Spelled "last" in a competition that you win only if you spell the longest word and there was an infinite number of letters.
Prediction: Very flammable, will get mad or make someone else really mad and get everyone to target her, out week 4.

Jesse: Would have much more preferred Brian or Cowboy to be back in the house. Physical threat probably who sucks at most challenges cuz they're either endurance or memory ones.
Prediction: alliances keep him strong until later, possibly a Final 2 candidate for someone to bring w/ them because this is his 2nd chance.

Casey: Like this guy, seems like a really cool uncle. Like to know about his teaching job and his family, CBS yet to oblige.
Prediction: might be backdoored this week, but if his group gets in power he can be strong.

Michele: Thinks she's playing dumb right now, camouflage technique in play trying to fade into the background.
Prediction: Possible winner if she's not actually being dumb instead of just playing dumb.

Laura: impressed by her knowledge of the game, she'd be a gamer if she wasn't the prime target to go this week.
Prediction: Out this week.

Lydia: Thought she was gonna be a cool dude, but definitely made me think twice by cuddling up to Jessie and flipping out over Jordan "not crying for her." Ew.
Prediction: could possibly go a long way, might be final four candidate given the alliances.

Russell: Way too angry for his own good. This year's Jesse.
Prediction: Out very soon.

Ronnie: I feel the worst about this guy because I would have been in his spot had I been cast this year, and like him I would have tried to play a really strategical game, except he's playing all wrong! I don't blame him too much for being the swing vote in week 1, but he shouldn't do that to draw attention to himself, he overplayed his hand and spilled the beans to Braden and Russell pretty much caught him; he saved himself by winning the HoH, except it was TERRIBLE to win HoH when he could have just threw the final question to Michele, who CAN'T put him up this week! Geez, series of mistakes, my man! Most idiotic thing yet: Tried to pretend he wasn't the last vote when EVERYONE in the house knew it was him.
Prediction: Many people in the house have told him he might win it, but I don't see it. Double-dipping is most target-inducing, and he is the master of it.

Who I hope to win: Casey/Laura/Michele
Who I think will win: Lydia/ Jesse.


Ok, now to the 2nd half of my program: I did camp counseling for 3 years before law school, and this is the first summer since 2005 that I'm not at camp having fun + workin at the same time. Some of my favorite activities that I miss:

1. The Look-up Game: one of my favorite activities to pass some time along. Everyone starts with heads down and looks up at same time, people looking at each other are eliminated. Gets some laughs once people realize they're across from each other.

2. The Sleepout: always a fun change-up with camp skits and other things, although it was very draining to watch kids for the whole day and the morning before. My camp skits were terrible in 2006, got better in 2007, saved the best for last in 2008 when my CILT and I did a "dueling violins skit."

3. Foxes and Hounds: Only did it in 2008, wish I did it more. Got half the kids to find the other kids who were hidden somewhere around camp, left "clues" and "false clues" along trails.

4. Home Run Derby: Easily done, kids like it cuz they could whomp the bejesus out of some balls.

5. "Who's in the Box?" Similar to Black Magic, etc., a trick activity where kids gradually figure out the tricks.

Anyway, hard to really describe what we did and make it seem really memorable and exciting, it was the camaraderie, the sharing of fun and the youthful exuberance of it all that made it o so fun.
And then law school happened.

Fantasize on,
Robert Yan

No comments: