Friday, March 21, 2008

the marching ensues

Ok, I mean, did you hear it here first or not? Siena over Vandy? C'mon, that was really a long shot, but I called it, front and square.

Every other part of my bracket, though, has been really bad, so I can't really back up that talk. Connecticut falling to San Diego really messed me up, as I had theme going a pretty long ways.

O and my 8-9 seed predictions didn't do so hot. The #8 seeds went 2-2, so basically a split. If you followed my advice, you got what you would have expected if you'd have just flipped a coin on those games. I coulda went 3-1 on those 8's if Indiana, the one I was most sure about, just went out and played to their ability. Unh-uh.

O well. The thing about the NCAA tournament, and some might say i'm just in a defeatist mood or whatever, but it's really a LOT about luck. I mean, just the basic element of it has a lot to do with luck. In a 40-minute, one-game elimination, the amount of 3's you hit has a lot to do with it. If your long-range shooters just happen to get hot in a game, you're prolly gonna win, cuz the score only goes up to the 60's and 70's, so three's are so huge. And that's where luck comes in: less basketbats and possessions to allow skills to come out to their full. THAT's why you see all these upsets all the time ( not this year to such an extent, but still why SD beat UConn or Western Kentucky beat Drake).

Also, if you think about it, what are the chances you get a game right? Even if you're just the biggest diehard, watch-every-game, know-the-weather-at-tipoff kind of fan, you STILL have just a 50-50 chance at getting an 8-9 game right. I mean, these teams are so close in skill level that there's really no way to differentiate on your prognostications, and the chances of getting games right are just about 50-50. ( 1-16 matchups excluded, the most confident you can ever get with these games is like 70-30).
So if you've picked a lot of games right one year, congratulations, but just remember you got plenty lucky. And if you picked a lot of games wrong like i do every year, just remember that it's not that you're a loser ( at least this is what i keep telling myself), chance pretty much bit you in the @$$.


Alright that's my abbreviated column for today.
Good luck, folks.

Announced casting for Big brother 10 recently. Man I wish I were on that show.

Fantasize on,
Robert Yan

No comments: