Friday, June 15, 2007

midseason draft

So.........got that LSAT outta the way, and I'm pleased to say, I'm 95% sure that's the last time I'm ever gonna take it. I spent so much energy studying for the test prior to it ( pretty much took the whole month, may 11- june 10, right after the semester ended for me); I felt pretty good during the test, confident in my answers, didn't get cut off because of time ( maybe like half a question i didn't get a good look at all the answer choices), and the one section that I struggled w/ the most was, from what I've heard, the experiment, a.k.a. unscored section. Life is good. Unless I got less than 169 on that test, then I'd be pretty upset. Actually, I'm expecting around a 172, I don't want to be overly optimistic but that's really how I felt about that test.

Anyway, slow day in baseball for my fantasy teams. REAL slow day. I didn't start oliver perez, who threw 7 innings of no-run ball and the win AT Yankee Stadium. I didn't start shane victorino, who had a fantasy dream day w/ 2-5, 2R's, 2 RBI's, HR, and SB. Instead i started carl crawford, eric byrnes, and jason bay, who went a combined 2-13 w/ 2 R's. Go figure. Damn it.

The only good thing was I got a cheap win from Rafael Soriano, just like last night when alan embree got a 2-inning win. Soriano actually came into a tie game, gave up a home run, came out, and the braves scored 2 the following inning to give him the win he didn't deserve. Go figure.

I did a midseason draft on tuesday, and I dunno whose fault it was, whether it was my computer, my internet connection, yahoo, java script, my own idiocy, but i "entered live draft" and had the screen pulled up, but when my first selection came it just autopicked it. So instead of guaranteeing great pitching performances w/ johann santana ( the strategy that worked for me last year in the 2nd-half league,) I got carlos beltran, who's not bad but not doing great this year........ahh. Then hanley ramirez in 2nd round was also auto-picked, i don't feel terrible about that pick. Might have gotten matt holliday instead. Hopefully it's one of those, "O, well, that worked out in the end" kind of deals.

I'm expecting a lot of guys to step up their games in the 2nd half of the season. And they should. Miguel Tejada, Garret Atkins, the aforementioned Beltran, manny ramirez, and carlos zambrano are all guys who have had bad first halves compared w/ expectations. Albert Pujols was gonna be on that list as of 2 weeks ago, but he's stepped it up recently and mashed his way into a 120-RBI, 40-HR pace.

Guys I expect to come back to earth: Prince Fielder ( although I was wrong about ryan howard normalizing last year, and these two have a lot in common), Dan Haren ( He CANNOT sustain a 1.00- something ERA), magglio ordonez, james shields, rich hill, torii hunter, eric byrnes, francisco cordero, jose valverde. Notice that a bunch of these guys are pitchers because it only takes a few bad outings for your ERA and WHIP to get jacked way high, especially if you're at a low number now...................that thing can inflate like the pre-WWII German economy. Sorry.

But yea, be watching out for those things. And if you don't know about guys streaking and coming back down to earth or doing better after a long dry spell, it's called FANTASY BASEBALL.


Fantasize on,
Robert Yan

No comments: