Tuesday, June 5, 2007

baseball

Ahh, baseball.

The good old summer days of baseball. We're in the midst of 'em, and i'm happy to report that i'm doing reasonably well in all my leagues.......................4th in my yahoo winners league but in a tight pack at the top, should be fine w/ a-rod, konerko, crawford, jason bay, eric byrnes ( suprisingly very good this year,) jeff kent, and my new favorite baseball name to say, shane victorino!


Fantasy baseball is like this, y'all: It has the most skill attached to it. It's that simple. Especially rotisseries cuz all the stats compound. You really have to play the averages and go on a very long journey to the top of the league. Sure the draft is important, but u gotta fill all these positions, both hitting and pitching, and things happen so quickly DAILY, from guys getting hurt, going on the DL, to new closers stepping in, to guys going on hot streaks, to good matchups for starting pitchers, all these things to consider, it really tests ur ability as a fantasy owner as compared to say, football, where every week each player plays ONE game, u need to set the lineup for ONE game. Baseball is the classic fantasy sport of numbers, averages, and stats. I'm drunk with enthusiasm just talking about it.

Anyway, i got the LSAT on the 11th. Somewhat nervous, shooting for a 170, it'll be a bonus if i get anything higher. But it shouldn't be any lower than, say, like a 168. I'd say that coupled with my grades should get me into UCLA law, my ideal law school right now. Not that I'm DEFINITELY going to law school.

To the stuff happening around baseball. Bengie molina quietly as 33 RBI as a catcher and is batting something ridiculous like .325. I've had the pleasure of owning him for many of those RBI and he's basicaly like the 2nd or 3rd best batter in that SF lineup.

Ryan Braun, mm, mm. If you haven't picked him up, your missing out. The Brew Crew sure like this guy, as he's got the regular 3rd base job AS WELL as the 3 spot in the order of a 1st place team that's probably going to the playoffs. That's a major upgrade, like getting a Justin Morneau.

Homer Bailey starting on Friday. My league hasn't picked him up yet. I'm itching to do it, but I always have problems with keeping players around, running out of patience, and i dunno if i'd have a roster spot for him if he struggles. So I think I'll wait. I just don't want him to become this year's liriano or jered weaver. Last year I HAD weaver for his first 2 starts, then DROPPED him! DOH! I dunno, u never kno with these young pitchers. I DID Have cole hamels, though, at the end of last year. I suspect one of these prospects being called up, whether it's Gallardo, Bailey, Kevin Slowey, Matt Garza, Phil Hughes, is gonna be a stud by next season. Who's it gonna be though?

A-Rod now has 21 homers. 50 HR+ is not a stretch, i predicted 55 HR's at the beginning of season, albeit a little high of an expectation, but it's definitely doable.

People have got to love James Shields right now. He's so consistent! Hot Carl just went 4 for 6, 4 R's, 3 RBI's, 1 HR, 1 SB. That's like a week of production in a day. Niiiiiiiiice. I need it from Carl.

Johann Santana is about to go into one of his "zones," in my estimation, where he rattles off 6 or 7 starts with below 2 ERA and miniscule WHIP. If you can, GET HIM cuz his ERA's still in the 3.00's.

Looks like jimmy rollins and adam dunn have finally started to cool off. However, the players i got back in exchange for them, one of 'em's not carrying his WEIGHT. ( that would be you, z-man.)

-Fantasize on,
Robert Yan

No comments: