Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Fundraiser (筹款活动, 모금행사, 募金活動)

 Every year around this time, an annual tradition starts in the dodgeball community: fundraisers for people to go to internatinoal dodgeball tournaments. There's probably a hint of jealously in what I say, but I really don't feel like donating to unworthy causes, and raising money to go to a dodgeball tournament is not a worthy cause. I know many people in the dodgeball community, have friendships with many of them, but it's the same dilemma I've had since high school and having some money to spare: how far is the extent of my charity? It's hard enough figuring out what to spend money on in terms of necessities like mortage, insurance, car payments, food, travel, etc., then there's infinite possibilities to spend money on discretionary funds, but then what part of the budget do I spend on favorite charities, worthy causes, covering costs for other peoples' emergencies, sudden deaths in the family, etc. Honestly, there are an infinite number of good causes to donate money to: just go on GoFundme.com and look through any number of campaigns and fundraisers. Then there's any number of charities I've donated to before: American Red Cross, St. Jude's Hospital, Unicef, Big Cat Rescue, Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, etc., etc. No one teaches you on what you should allocate your money to, how to spend you money in that regards, what proportion of your monthly salary you should spend on charities, what impact does the money you give actually help, etc. (If I "round up" at the cash register at CVS to help the Children's Fund, how much do those cents help in the overall scheme of things?) It's hard to say, there's no definite answer, and the most tangible result is the quick jolt of "I did something good for the world" when you give that money, and then you never think about it again. 

For dodgeball fundraisers, I know what the money is going to: travel costs for the player that you're helping. For certain people, I get it: this might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them to go, they've been battling some disease that requires them special accommodations, etc., but for the majority of the fundraisers I see, it's an annual event (so every year they're asking for money) to basically fund their vacation and a fun time for them, not really helping society. Here's a thought: If you can't afford the vacation, don't go! Maybe they're a really good player at dodgeball, but in a sport where there's really no money involved or no Olympic medals invovled or anything, that spot on a team could just be filled by another player who can make it. I've donated before to these things too, and it'd be nice to get a "thank-you note" or something for the money that I pitched in, or maybe a tax deduction? Nope, all I get is that little GoFundMe note asking me to pay the additional money to GoFundMe to run the fundraiser on TOP of the donation that I'm getting, like tipping the company to take my money. If I'm that good of friends with the person, I can just Venmo that friend directly if they need money to go. Often my donation will get lost within all the people who contribute to the campaign anyway. I just don't get the point of it. Maybe it's because I come from a privileged background where I never had to ask for any money or initiate any fundraisers, so I can't see it from their point of view, but if I'm lacking for money, wouldn't I ask for something other than dodgeball? Maybe if I need medical expenses, emergency fund or something, but dodgeball is like the opposite of emergency and "I really need this." Maybe it's also an American thing; growing up in an Asian family I just wouldn't think of owing someone else money, or asking for money, it'd have to be if I'm desperate. Instead some Americans will ask for money in the most trivial of situations, just because they want to maintain their lifestyle and "pursue their passions." I'm all for them doing that, but call me Scrooge but I don't have to subsidize that. 



No comments: