Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Time Flies as we grow older, also Tachysensia

There must be a scientific name for this idea that adults perceive time to go faster...... or there should be a name created for it, like "senichronolism," or "life acceleration," or something. I'm definitely in the midst of it right now as I'm reading posts from December 2023 (the late-stage capitalism entry) and wondering how that was half a year ago. I once thought it was just a myth, or an exaggeration, but it's definitely true. I think I was just shielded from it pre-pandemic because my life was always on the go, I worked on differnet projects so I had a lot of differnet stimuli every day, changed my settings every few weeks, had some exciting experiences like working in new cities, waking up in different cities all the time, so nothing felt too boring, always fresh and new. Now that I've been stuck indoors for 4 years, the different experiences have faded away, I've barely even talked to anybody during those years... everything is "lumped" together so days, weeks, months, years all feel like one big ball, even though definitely I watched "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" the TV series and "Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri" a few months ago, very specific memories, but they've all been lumped with all the other TV shows I've watched. Maybe it should be called "time lumping." 

There's also another theory: our brains experience many more images and experiences as infants and kids, so everything feels like there's so many things in one day, whereas my senses have been dulled now and everything feels routine. This is definitely true of work. Another theory is that as adults we are comparing the last year or so to our whole life of existence, so that that one year we just lived doesn't feel that long, as opposed to kids who have only lived 5 years or 10 years, that last year they lived was huge in proportional to their whole life they've lived so far. So it's all relative. 

There's also this idea of "tachysensia," where for short periods of time everything feels sped up, a fast feeling that everything is moving faster than it really is. I feel this like at a wedding or something where I'm 100% engaged, no distractions, like at a party when I'm talking to several different people one after another, and suddenly I realize an hour has gone by like nothing, and I haven't checked my phone or my fantasy baseball team! Actually a pretty nice feeling, something I should cherish more. (I get it when I play dodgeball, and sometimes when playing chess). Just that numbness knowing nothing else matters, time is not that important, etc. I've always been super into what time it is, always thinking what time of the day it is relative to what I should be doing, where I should be, etc., that sometimes time becomes my enemy, I'm a slave to it with planning and trying to get everything exactly on time. 

I may have started on this topic because I saw a visa I obtained in 2015 to go back to China, good for 10 years and set to expire in 2025..... plenty of time, I thought back then. I could go back twice, maybe 3 times in that span of time! It'll definitely be worth it! Reasonable thought because I had gone to China in 2013, but then marriage hit, then a global pandemic..... it was just never the right time, especially to do the 15 hours around the world. Well, now it's 2024 and I have about 10 months to go before the visa runs out. That 10 months is going to go by really quick based on current trends! 

No comments: