Tuesday, November 2, 2021

TIL (Today I learned)

 I didn't learn about "TIL" today, but it's quite a useful phrase for rehashing one's gained knowledge in any given day, as opposed to just letting it slide and fade into memory; it also forces me to write out or explain what I've learned in my own words, which requires a much deeper understanding fo the subject and better grasp of the necessary facts than just multiple choice or a one-word answer to a clue (like in Jeopardy). The Superior Court judge at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse in L.A. who I did my externship for after my first year of law school would ask me every day, "what did you learn today?" which I imagine he asked of his children too, but it's a pretty effective way to test if they've learned anything and enforce what was learned. 

But today I did learn that "Let's go Brandon!" is a trendy euphemism being used by people who disapprove of Joe Biden in lieu of "F You Brandon." Every president gets a group of haters who come up with a slogan like (Remember "Thanks Obama!") , but this is one of the more creative (not that I necessarily approve of the message) in a dog-whistle kind of way but also having it gain popularity by being succinct and catchy. It'd be fair to say that President Biden's first year in office hasn't gone exactly the way he probably planned it to be, as he's taken a more progressive stance on many social issues but bungled the exit out of Afghanistan and alienated some of those in the center of the political aisle. 

TIL that America is desperate for semiconductors to build more automobiles, thus causing a dearth in supply of avaiable automobiles and causing rental car companies like Avis to do well (stock shot up 108% in one day after reporting absurd earnings). Hope our Honda Accord 2013 at 120000 miles can hold up for a while longer before this is all over! 

TIL many different things on Jeopardy, but apparently that a "stuffed shirt" means one is pompous and inflexible. TAD I learned that SAD is a thing, or Seasonal affective disorder, and that those gloomier seasons of fall and winter are coming. Yesterday I learned that I can forget things I thought I knew cold even if I wrote it in this blog a couple weeks ago, as there was a clue about a Greek 6-headed monster in the Odyssey and I failed to identify it was from Scylla and Charybdis (see previous article). 

TIL you can order a laundry machine from Costco and the price of the machine comes with removal of the old machine AND installation of the new machine! That is like mana from heaven for a guy who isn't handy ("The Handy Man" was the name of the homo habilis, an earlier species of hominids) like me who dreads pulling out any wires or chords or "hooking things up" unless it's like hooking up free tickets or something. Hope it goes off without a hitch! 


No comments: