Wednesday, October 3, 2018

(飼い主) Petowner

Some musings I've had the last few days:

sleeping 2 or 3 hours for one night makes the next day very very difficult especially for trying to stay at work, but the sleep that night is GLORIOUS, especially if allowed to sleep for 12 hours. It seriously is the most vivid experience I've had of the dream world, where I'm totally encapsulated in the reality of that world, as if nothing else exists. It's like watching a movie in the movie theater and just disappearing into that world, no distractions. And after I wake up, I am SO refreshed and ready for the day, my head totally clear, most worries gone (except getting to work on time after those 12 hours of sleep!) It almost makes me want to do the 2-3 hours the night before just to get that 12 hour dream sleep for the next day, it's an addicting feeling. And dreams are so vivid I can remember them during the day, AND I can access dreams that I had previous, in an ongoing saga of inheriting a large sum of money as a victim of a fraud of a lawsuit.


It's not a myth: Living in Chicago does have effects of making people's bodies fatter and heavier as the body tries to insulate heat inside the body during the winter; it's a natural function, but it also makes me fatter. Both MJ and I suffered 2 winters ago, which is why living in L.A. probably "suits" us. One of the healthiest things I did for my own body image was move to L.A. for law school.

Wrigley Field has a newly renovated plaza area just outside the ballpark with statues, fountains, and more importantly a HUGE screen showing the game, which is where my friend Ray and I went to watch the late innings of yesterday's classic 13-inning one-game playoff game against the Rockies. If you're looking for the crowd feel, outside breeze, proximity to the game, and ability to see every pitch live on a big screen, look no further than the FREE entertainment right outside Wrigley, it's like Movies in the Park on a warm summer day. Perfect for me, who doesn't care about actually being in the stadium and the old rusty seats of a century-old stadium seeing pea-sized players from nosebleed seats.

Owning a pet is NOT easy business. I've stayed with 2 different people with pets the last month or so (MJ's best friend and then my best friend) and owning a pet, as cool as it may seem, is kind of a different lifestyle, as in your life revolves around the pet. My friend Ray's apartment has a yorkshire terrier, and as fun as it is watching him stroodle around and follow me wherever I go for awhile, the dog has some problems: like pooping on the carpet, going through the trash can and digging out all the toilet paper, easily able to escape through the front door if it's not fastened securely.........it really is a big commitment to have a pet. Not to mention costly (for shots, food, finding someone to take care of it if you go away for awhile........Being a petowner is like signing up for indentured servitude......to an animal. You think you're getting a pet and making it come along with you, but instead the pet's stringing you along, forcing you to give up some freedoms. I deeply sympathize for petowners, although I'm sure they'll tell me I will never know the feeling of owning a pet. Being a petowner, though, could be really good for developing some life skills in other areas: like patience of scolding something/someone that has no idea what you are saying and won't get taught a lesson, and repeats the same mistakes over and over, won't talk back but also doesn't understand and doesn't sympathize with your frustration at it...good practice for the early days of infancy in raising a kid or talking to an angry spouse who is upset and purposely will disobey/not listen.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

1 comment:

MJ said...

lol for the last sentence - sounds like you are talking from your own experience! But very true and a good lesson!! :D