Sunday, September 9, 2018

H Mart ( H 마트)

Today I found out there's an H Mart nearby my office in downtown Chicago. What a revelation! H mart has quietly permeated into my existence much like Korean culture has, from zero during law school (I grouped Korean and Japan into the same cultures in that they weren't Chinese) to having a much more detailed understanding of Korea, Korean American culture, Korean FOOD! (aw man, I was missing a completely different world) and Korean customs/ attitudes towards cleanliness from MJ.

The H in H Mart actually stands for Han Ah Reum, meaning an arm full of groceries/food, which makes sense. The whole concept of H Mart is similar to a grocery store except it caters to Asian people, with a lot of Asian dishes and treats (mochi, kimbap), etc. I used to go to 99 Ranch market due to its Chinese-influenced concept of a grocery store, but now I go to H mart when I go to a chance (and surprisingly, so does my mother, who likes making all kinds of Chinese foods, which goes to show how far H mart has come). The best things that MJ and I usually get are the pre-packaged Kimbap, which is like rice, vegetables, and some sort of protein wrapped into seaweed and cut into little rolls, kind of like Korean sushi. Those are VERY good snacks (well, for me snack, for MJ it can be a whole meal) and a pretty nutritious way to satisfy cravings. There's also hot food like Ttoekbokki, or spicy rice cake. And the H-mart around my office also has a restaurant-style area for spicy tofu soup, ramen (or is it ramyeon for Korean people) and all kinds of great stuff! Don't get me started on my love for good spicy tofu soup. It's one of the best things about getting converted into Korean culture! 

I think my journey into the world of Korea matches my personality of liking new things: now well into my 30's, I don't really like the things I liked as a child and even in my 20's: things I thought were AWESOME back then I see as a waste of time or kind of immature, almost as if I'm turning into my parents who told me not to watch sports or play video games. My love for sports, although still kindled with some interest, has drastically waned to just a mild affiliation while stocks (and making money!) is now the new thrill, and learning cultures/ world events is slowly replacing fascination with movies/ TV shows. (Although, I do like those Korean dramas, I recently watched My Sassy Girl and fell in love with Jun Ji-hyun's character like many before me). Even dodgeball, one day, will become a memory. My tastes and interests evolve over time, but undeniably I get the most satisfaction out of new stimulus, doing things I haven't done before. No matter how much I love something, inevitably the 4th or 5th time I do them, they lose a little luster from before, that first hit of new feelings. (Then again, I just told MJ, coming back to a city like Chicago where I haven't been to before in a while, gets that renewed vigor and energy: unfortunately kind of like a smoker who hasn't smoked in a while smoking a cigarette: it's like my body yearns for that experience again and welcomes it). 

Life is short, and there are still so many new things out in the world I haven't tried and might like. Who knows what I might get into next, but for now, going to H-mart and learning about Korea are right at the top of the list! 


Fantasize on, 

Robert Yan 

No comments: