Sunday, October 15, 2017

Organized Race v. Own Race

My friend (and best man at my wedding) Ray is an impressive guy. He's been doing races since he was in junior high (probably since 6th grade). I remember trying to keep up with him even back then but failing, unable to sustain his speed over time and feeling bad about dragging him back and making him check on me when I was coughing, wheezing, and trying to catch my breath. He did all the cross country races through high school and continued into adulthood and into marathons ( and now maybe triathlons?)


Today I woke up to the sound of a race (half marathon or marathon or walkathon, from the looks of it) going down Olive St. where I live. One of the benefits or demerits of living in downtown! Festive atmosphere, a lot of people participating, and volunteers on the sidelines giving out water and shouting out loud encouragement (too loud, in my opinion and probably those of the surrounding residential buildings for 9AM). I've participated in a few 6K's and races in the past (Firecracker run in Chinatown, Redondo Beach 10K) but I prefer the lone race. Here are some reasons why:


1.) The start time isn't actually the start time. You get to a the start line, and it's time to........wait. Up to an hour to get started running. That doesn't agree with me.
2.) I don't need to stretch. It's just not how my body operates......it doesn't need the stretching and stretching doesn't do much for me. I just start running. The pre-race routines that other runners have, while impressive and I'm sure effective for them, just stresses me out.
3.) I like building my own path. A race is pre-determined and have to follow the path........I like to veer off sometimes and see a certain new area
4.) Races get crowded sometimes.....especially when you're in the middle of the pack like me, have to go at the speed of the group.
5.) There's apps that can measure how far I've run, don't need the mile markers and stopwatches telling me how far I've run.
6.) I run at a different pace than any running friends I have (Ray runs faster than I do, as I alluded to earlier) so it's not a social event......I usually don't strike up a conversation with the guy running next to me, neither, it's just a lot of heavy breathing and panting and everyone listening to music.
7.) Especially in LA, I can run anywhere and choose the time to do it. It's so much more efficient to drop everything and start running, forget the troubles (as opposed to having to register for a race, pay the registration fees)be at the mercy of the weather or how you feel, etc.


That said, there are a ton of great things about organized races.

1.) official record- it's like part of your resume or life information, anybody can go on raceinfo.com and look up your name and results. Pretty legit and makes that race an "official time."
2.) The medal you earn at the end for finishing- bring some memorabilia home and hardware home.
3.) It's like going to a running party and meeting similar running enthusiasts......it's assuring to know there's a ton of others like you out there, and it does actually help on the course to have peers pushing you along. I tend to give up and go easy on myself if I'm just alone, take it easy.








The one time I did a marathon with Ray though (2015 LA Marathon) it was awesome! (except between mile 20-24, where I felt exhausted and couldn't move). An unforgettable experience from Dodger Stadium to the Santa Monica Pier with so many landmarks on the way and roads cleared just for us, people high-fiving us, very memorable(especially when I almost pooped myself......happens more than people want to talk about) and really that's probably the biggest appeal of an organized race..... another life experience.

Maybe if it was an organized race called the Amazing Race......I'd definitely do it!!!!

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan







No comments: