Friday, August 25, 2017

Oversleep (寝坊した)

Today I overslept again!

Various observations related to oversleeping:

1.) It feels really, really good to wake up on your own. Mind seems clear, body feels chipper, everything seems to move freely.
2.) It happens much more often when I'm in a pattern of ignoring my alarm, hitting snooze a lot. Cuz one of those times, you don't actually hit snooze, you cancel the alarm.
3.) Because you overslept, do you skip or have breakfast? Many studies have shown that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but skipping has some weight-loss benefits because it extends the fasting period.
4.) The time you oversleep until is probably the time your body WANTS to sleep until if there was no stress, timelines, and life that was in the way. Or your body just gets accustomed to being lazy and wants to sleep more and more (probably true)
5.) On the days I oversleep, I don't fall into a food coma after lunch and almost fall asleep at my desk ( Cuz I got enough sleep).
6.) I never oversleep before a big test or big game that I'm eagerly looking forward to, so it's nothing like those movies where you oversleep on the day of the big test and show up late to the game. My body is usually so full of adrenaline and hyped up that it was hard to sleep in the first place and a light sleep at that, and wakes up much earlier than I want to.
7.) I'm one of the lucky people that can sleep on the plane. GLORIOUS time to wake up after a long nap to the sound of plane landing. I once almost overslept the landing, getting up just as people were unbuckling their seatbelt and getting out of the plane.
8.) That first feeling when you see what time it is after you wake up is not pleasant because I know I'm late for something, but at least it triggers me into action and necessity, as opposed to sluggishly pulling on clothes, thinking about nothing for a while and slowly get to work.
9.) The first 2 hours of being awake is the prime time for learning new things (aka language, new skills, etc.). Brains is so fresh fresh fresh, like an icy mint.
10.) Probably tons of ways exist to prevent oversleeping like setting 2 alarms, resolving to get up at the first sound of an alarm, but more importantly: go to sleep at the same time every night. Your body will thank you, as opposed to the gradual slide deeper into the night on a day by day basis until it comes crashing to a halt.
11.) Especially on the west coast, a lot has happened in the world by the time you wake up from oversleep. You learn about your stocks dipping lower and have less time to do stuff about it, sports games are already going on, colleagues at work have already done their early morning routine around water cooler or their coffee is wearing off......you miss quite a lot, and if you get to work after 10AM it's not a good look to go to lunch at 12PM or 12:30PM, and even if you do you got a WAY longer day in the afternoon to get through. Not great.


Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: