Thursday, December 1, 2016

越冬 (How to Survive Winter in Chicago)

In Japanese, "Ettou" means going into hibernation, or going through the winter, and for the first time in about 8 summers, I'm going to be braving it through the Chicago cold. That's right, no more 70 degree December days in LA of going to the beach in a t-shirt and making runs. My world now (at least, the outside world) is all about heavy jackets, minimizing exposed skin surfaces, seeing my breathe in front of my face, the lake freezing over (all the boats at Navy Pier have been relocated for the winter), gloves, hugging my girlfriend really tight to keep both of us warm, etc. Even my work building makes changes for the winter, taking away the outside seats (who's gonna eat lunch outside in the freezing weather?) and installing winter decorations inside. December is here.

I'm by no means the biggest advocate of preparing for weather, but even a carefree guy like me gets knocked back into submission by the breeze and has to head back indoors for a jacket if I forgot one before stepping outside. 

1.) find a gym to get exercise in. I tried running in 37 degree weather the other day. Didn't feel great but was braving it for a while running down the riverwalk (Yes, Chicago has a riverwalk now too, and one can view the majestic sight of the Trump Building while walking the path!) towards the lake, but then the lakefront breeze enveloped me in its icy grasp and I whimpered back home. I've already gained about 5 pounds this winter season, but don't want to gain anymore, so it's time for (GASP) treadmill time. I'm not a fan of treadmills. 

2.) Get some shovels ready inside one's car, cuz there's a distinct chance you have to shovel yourself out if there's overnight snow and you parked outside (had this happen too much in the 16-18 phase). 

3.) Have tissues on your person at all times.......no telling when your nose gets embarrassingly runny and have to wipe.... 
3a.) Ears- often forgot, but ever so sensitive to the cold, so much that they get red. Wear a sweatshirt, inner shit, or outer jacket, SOMETHING that has a hoodie, or a wool hat, or earmuffs, whatever, it's a worthy investment. 

4.) Check weather every day. It's not gonna be 70-71-68-72 sunny all week, sudden shifts in weather and 45 degree feels a whole lot different than 25 degrees, especially when wind chill is accounted for. 

5.) It's not all bad. With winter comes a lot of happy holidays like the just-past Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, etc. One other nice thing is the first snowfall of the year, which annually has been something to look forward to when I was in college/ lived in Illinois. A beautiful sight and enough to people to go outside and catch a snowflake. Japanese people value it, too, calling the year's first snowfall 初雪. Just make sure that it's soft snow that's dropping and not sleet, hail, acid rain (probably not) or an array of other slushy solid precipitation. I got stuck in a hailstorm last week that pounded against my face. Not fun. 

Fantasize on, 

Robert Yan 

No comments: