Monday, May 2, 2016

Rolling Around (盥回し) - Taraimawashi

One of my favorite things about learning Japanese has been all the proverbs I've accumulated, on top of all the Chinese proverbs that I've had in my head since a young age. Things like even a monkey falls out of a tree, like monkeys and dogs fighting (never thought monkeys and dogs were natural enemies, but it actually originated from the Chinese story Journey to the West, where a monkey is one of the main characters and helps fend off various enemies including dogs apparently. Side note- When I'm asked who is my favorite superhero, I automatically think of Spiderman, various X-men, and Batman, all of whom I watched in animated TV shows as a kid, but an underrated answer might be Song Wu Kong, the monkey hero from Jounrey to the West that could travel thousands of miles in one leap, shapeshift into many different characters, turn his battle stick (not sure what you'd call that in English) into a huge weapon or the tiniest of needles. That was cool, and he was my first superhero ever. Apparently most Asian cultures know the story of Journey to the West in its many phases (I've heard it referenced in Japanese and Korean), but it really hasn't carried over into Western cultures.

Anyway, the newest Japanese proverb I've been fascinated by is Taraimawashi, or acrobatic barrel rolling. That's the literal translation, as one can imagine barrel rolling quickly on the ground in a feat of athletic prowess, something that I could use in trampoline dodgeball if I was ever that nimble or light on my feet (I'm not). Trampoline dodgeball allows for plenty of movement both horizontally and vertically, and many players use that to their advantage: they're constantly rolling around the trampolines, bouncing off the sides, jumping really high to the top, even doing backflips. I just basically stand in place and place ground dodgeball on a trampoline, which is a very boring but effective way to play. Acrobatic barrell-rolling, however, sounds really cool and get ahh's and ooh's from those watching, which really might be what the people want and what athletes should strive for.

Anyway, much like many Japanese proverbs (and proverbs around the world) this one has a deeper meaning (or two). One is to pass around in a pre-arranged order, and lately that seems to be presidential power. Clinton transitioning to Clinton and Bush to Bush. It's like the kings use to do it back in medieval society so that they never really relinquished power. I actually don't think that there's a purposeful invasion of certain families in America to gain power, but I think there's some of that pervading attitude in America that they don't want the same politicians, and not just in the families, but the established political groups in America running the country and catering to the same corporations and special interests. People don't like politicans anymore, and it's not just because this year's candidates aren't that appealing (although I guess Bernie Sanders is everyone's favorite uncle, partly because he makes the political superPacs and big corporations his mortal enemy). That might be why Donald Trump garners so much support this year.....tired of the same old politicans. And as much as President Obama makes fun of the Donald and declares his "faith in the people of America not to make Trump president" and Hilary denouncing the Donald's woman attacks, and as much as the Donald is a punchline in conversations I have with a lot of my co-workers, there's still a chance that he becomes President of the United States because of the anti-taraimawashi nature of the presidential election process.

The final meaning of taraimawashi ( I know, are you keeping up?) is handing a problem to someone else in order to evade responsibility Huge in Japan, and also many corporate companies....don't take on any unnecessary risks that might drag you down, get rid of liabilities (I've seen it used for passing off foster children too, moving them from different foster home to foster home). I'll admit that I do that somewhat too, thinking "Oh we don't have a cure for cancer yet? O let the scientists handle it, they'll find a cure) or "there's an energy crises in America with using too much fuel, but I'm going to keep using a lot of gas, it's just a drop in the bucket" or the biggest thing that I should probably change: bystander effect: when I see someone on the side of road, I figure, "I'll let someone else handle that, there's bound to be someone who can help them better than I can." Taraimawashi. If I were a better person, I'd try to get rid of the "see no evil" blinders of "I'm doing well myself" but then pay no heed to other people who are suffering or don't have as good of conditions as I do.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: