Friday, June 6, 2014

Run Around LA


Despite being kind of a recluse so far in 2014 and concentrating most of my athletic energy on playing dodgeball, I still find time to run, which keeps me in shape. I’ve lived in a lot of places in LA since I started law school (and coincidentally when I started to run outside daily……..and lost a significant amount of weight), including USC (great campus, fountains everywhere), Culver City (there’s a lookout point that overlooks the whole of LA that’s wonderful to run up to if you have the uphill stamina), Santa Monica Pier (run from the Pier down to Venice Beach/Muscle Beach area, spectacular) the Rose Bowl (crashed on a friend’s couch for a while in Pasadena, great 3-mile loop around the stadium), Monterrey Park (run and pick up some Chinese food!) and even through downtown Philadelphia! (ran up and down the Rocky steps all the time). But the two locations I’ve run for the last half-year or so have been truly great.

 

1.)    Working in downtown has its perks, one of which is proximity to one of the greatest places in L.A. I’m really surprised more people don’t run around downtown, as I rarely see people on my route. Maybe my route is just particular and unique, but it’s really scenic: I start at the World Trade Center on 5th and Fig, get a great view of the Westin Hotel and the U.S. Bank Tower where I work (tallest building in L.A., I might add), head up to the John Ferraro Building where there’s a man-made moat with seagulls and ducks and other birds floating in the artificial lake around the building, not to mention a spectacular view of the cityline during sunset as well as a glimpse of Chavez Ravine and Dodger Stadium, head off down to fountains and city hall in a straight downhill, cross through the Walt Disney Concert Hall, which besides being a resplendent work of architecture, also has an open-to-the-public park on top of it which I whip through, then head towards the Wells Fargo building/Deloitte Building on Grand Ave, ending at the Angelus Plaza where there’s a great view of the easter part of LA (not a great view, admittedly). It’s really one of the more gratifying experiences I get during the week, yet nobody seems to share in it.

 

2.)    Running up to the Hollywood sign- Get off FWY-101 at Gower St., head up north to Beachwood St. until you reach a sandy parking lot area, park. Not always open to the public, but when it is, it’s a great run up to the Hollywood sign. Beautiful scenery along the way involving horses, sometimes peacocks, the whole of L.A., and even a view of the OTHER side of LA, the sights and sounds of wonderful Glendale, CA. A lot of uphill involved, but great when coming downhill. (The whole area of Hollywood Hills is a great place nestled in the heart of L.A. that reminds me of a European village (not that I really remember what a European village looks like). Lots of winding streets, hills, and obscured areas suddenly opening up to a great view.  Won’t ever forget 2013-2014 when I lived in this area and could just go out and explore any time I wanted. O and I almost got ran over by a deer one time. True story.

 

Running generally is just a great way (as long as it’s safe) to explore an area and get a good workout at the same time, or listen to a podcast/ music. Keeps me sane, really. It’s to the point where if I don’t go for a run or exercise for the day, I feel weird, something’s missing.


Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: