Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Value of One's Reputation aka "My Name is My Name!"


(Hyouban) is the Japanese word for reputation, and it’s a very important concept for their culture, but I would argue it’s even more important in China, where saving face and preserving one’s name is tantamount to other concepts such as wealth, practicality, and sometimes even honor. I’ve been instilled since birth to have a good reputation by doing such things as giving to others when they are in need, returning money as soon as possible to someone I’ve borrowed it from, doing things that allow others to have a good impression of me.
Sometimes reputation can seem overrated, like if you hold the door to the elevator for other people, but you never see that person again, you haven’t really set a reputation, and the value of that reputation doesn’t seem that high. But it’s those types of act that lead to other acts that give a reputation, like sharing notes during law school, or letting other people switch with your particular interview slot  to the detriment of yourself, etc. I take value in that sometimes even if I’m taking a monetary hit. After all, each of us will pass away one day (kind of morbid, sorry) and all that remain will be our name and our reputation, passed on by other people. I would like a good one to be passed on for eternity (probably won’t go that far, but one can hope).
I would say that reputation of other things like school you went to or company you associate with is also pretty important. Especially in today’s society where people need to know things quickly about other people and get a gauge right away or they lose interest, having a good education/ getting a recommendation from a friend is essential towards signaling/branding/labeling oneself. Lots of things get done by online, comparing resumes, exchanging information, etc., can carry one. The more I age the more I realize that the adult world/ business world is really just about advertising oneself, making oneself marketable, so that others will trust and use services or goods that one provides, whichever industry one is in. A good reputation will do that.
In dodgeball, I have a reputation as a catcher, and it really influences the way the game is played for me. It’s like baseball: if a pitcher knows that a hitter is looking to swing away at pitches, they’ll throw pitches out of the strike zone that the hitter will reach for, and if the pitcher knows the hitter is taking/trying to draw a walk (dodging would be the equivalent in dodgball), they’re throw at the body. It’s a very useful distinction. More important than knowing others’ reputation, I feel, is knowing your own reputation. If you know what others expect of you, you can craft your game as necessary and make the adjustments. For dodgeball, if I know teams have instructed players not to throw at me because I am a threat to catch it, I will take more chances throwing despite the presence of throwers, etc.

Reputation has a somewhat different role in fantasy baseball: sure the same pitcher-hitter analogy applies where people know Brandon Philips is a hacker or that Carlos Santana is looking to draw out counts and aim for a walk, but that’s already factored into one’s overall value. It’s important to know what the hitter is actually doing v. what his reputation is, and often this is where the wheat can rise to the top. It’s not necessarily just “hype” neither, that’s preseason chatter based on the “sexiness” of a pick, a reputation is more of what a hitter has established over the years based on rock solid performance, so that fantasy owners come to expect a certain level of performance from that player. A great example is David Ortiz having a reputation for .300-30-100 seasons, or Prince Fielder having a reputation as a solid HR source. It’s important to actually watch the games or at least that player’s at-bats to see if they’re really living up to that reputation. In Fielder’s case, he had 3 RBI last night which would seemingly fulfill his slugging reputation but they were all a result of ground balls that found holes in the defense, not exactly “mashing” kind of hits. Prince Fielder, would, in my opinion, be someone who will not live up to his reputation this season.

The importance of reputation is played out beautifully in this clip from the best show ever (still, in my book), The Wire (parental guidance required) :
"My Name is My Name!" 

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan 

No comments: