Friday, April 11, 2014

Are You Cheating?

不正行 (fusei koi) is the word for cheating at games in Japanese. A big issue in the media in recent years has been cheating in sports. The big one is “steroids” or PEDs (performance enhancing drugs), which pervades all sports but has been the subject of congressional hearings, federal investigations, and criminal sentences in the last few years, with suspensions being handed to some of the biggest all-stars for various banned substances. The NFL has had issues with this that has been somewhat swept under the rug

But what really constitutes cheating at a game? The black-letter definition is obviously to do something that is prohibited by the rules, but the rules don’t cover everything
I recently read a really good article regarding “doctoring the baseball” by Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, with real insights from major league pictures who used the practice. It talks about all sorts of ways pitchers try to get a better grip on the ball, get more spin on the ball, basically do anything they can to get a leg up on the hitter. Amazingly, though, the article mentions that SOME OF THESE PRACTICES ARE NOT FROWNED UPON! Apparently umpires know that it happens but let it happen anyway. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pitchers--guide-to-cheating--how-to-do-it-right-061959306.html

To me, “doctoring the baseball,” or the practice of putting dirt on the ball, scratching the ball with fake fingernails, putting hair gel on the ball, etc., is just as egregious of a practice as “juicing” in the MLB, in that the hitters get an advantage. Why do hitters use human growth hormone or steroids? To get an advantage on the competition! To me, the distinction between these practices is very thin and should not end just because a rule forbids or does not forbid these practices. There have been no studies done to test whether pitchers statistically do better using these practices or not, so I guess there’s nothing to scientifically prove that this is cheating, but if players are doing it, there must be something about it that is beneficial.
This might upset some people who play dodgeball, but I don’t wear gloves during dodgeball even though many “catchers” who try to do a lot of catching of the ball (as opposed to dodging the ball or blocking with a ball) do wear gloves. I’ve never worn gloves and don’t know what affect it has first-hand, but I’ve heard from other players that it does help with catching, for almost the same reason that baseball pitchers “doctor” the ball: to get a better grip on the ball, in dodgeball’s case to get a better grip on the ball upon first contact of it flying into your hands and having it rest calmly into the palm of your hand, as opposed to flying away. (It’s hard to catch a rubber ball thrown at a high velocity with your bare hands).  Many glove users will say that gloves protect their fingers, and it’s not banned in most leagues, so it’s totally within the rules. But for me, it just seems artificial and  I’m just not comfortable using them just because of the similarities to a performance-enhancing drug (or device), in this case. It’s an interesting issue that I think goes unnoticed in most sports because it’s not a huge problem and doesn’t draw viewers attention like a “FEDERAL INDICTMENT OF ROGER CLEMENS” headline does, but I feel the impact of it.
Then again, I mean, I eat a banana before dodgeball games because I actually do feel it gives me a leg up and enhances my performance. Does it make it wrong? No. Wearing gloves or “doctoring the baseball” lies somewhere between eating a banana between games and blatantly using steroids, but the argument lies in where it is in that fringe.
In fantasy baseball, ironically, I take the opposite stance: I do everything and anything within the rules (and sometimes outside of the rules, as my leaguemates will attest) to give myself a leg up, including but not limited to picking up kickers the day before a fantasy football Sunday to prevent my opponent from getting one, making gentlemen’s agreements for trades, and numerous other little techniques that I’ve picked up over the years. I think my views are evolving on this, but I’m still trying to think of a justification why this “performance enhancement” is ok in fantasy sports for me but why I’m so all about integrity in physical sports.  


Fantasize on (with less cheating), 

Robert Yan 

No comments: